You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Transfer box problem

I'm near Clandonald, Alberta, CA. 40 miles from any town of any size. I'm on a ranch and the owner tried to fix me up with some shore power. Instead of 110 V he hooked me to 220 V. I think it fried my transfer box. Now when I run my jenny it will charge the batterys, but I have no 110 V anywhere. I can get 110 V if I have the inverter on. With the jenny on the front transfer seems to engage, the back one doesn't move. I have no place to hook up to shore power, so I can't check it. The 2 fuses on th transfer box are ok. Is there anything else I can check to get the 110 to work from the jenny? Ithrow some of the breakers in the bedroom. Thanks for your suggestions and help in advance. It's nice and cool here.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

Bob,

This is a total long shot, but have you re-booted the bus? Turned off generator, and then turn all the battery disconnect switches off and then back on? Maybe your inverter got confused. While off, you may want to look to see if any breakers are tripped on the inverter. Seems to me that there were a couple of breakers on the inverter unit itself.

I am not sure but I thought that all AC stuff (including generator) went through the inverter.

Do you have A/C meters & lights above the dash? If so, what do they say?

You may want to get a second on this advice, but it is what I would do.

Good luck!
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Hey Bill
With jenny on I show 120 V on both L1 & L2, didn't notice the amps. The red lights were all on down below. When I check the Inverter box in the basement seems like there were 3 reset buttons and the middle one needed to be reset. It's raining now when to stops I'll try the the other, with battery disconnect. Thanks

Bob & Peg Standeford
2004 Saturn Wagon

On my coach, the battery disconnect switch does not disconnect the inverter which is cabled around the switch. To reboot my inverter, I had to actually disconnect the battery cables. You may want to take to top off of the transfer box to see if one of the two switches is fried.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hey Chester,
I did that, but how do you know if it's bad. The one to the front seems to work when the jenny is running, (it pulls down in the middle). I think the back one is for shore power, which I don'T have. The front one was a little darker color, Thanks

Bob & Peg Standeford
2004 Saturn Wagon

Do you have a voltmeter and are you comfortable opening the transfer box and checking live voltages? Without that info all we can do is speculate? If he hooked you up to 220 then you will be lucky to escape with only a fried transfer box

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Bob, without shore power to see it it switches, I am sure there is a way to test it, but I am not technical enough to tell you how to do it. Sorry.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Agree with Richard and suggest either a new transfer box (about $800 from Newell) or an electrician service call to test it properly. Being hooked to a 220 I would think would leave some discoloring and I would look for melted insulation as well.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

And when/if you replace any burnt components please add a surge protector such as a Progressive Industries or other.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

We have juice to the big box in the bedroom when we use the jenny. The shore power transfer part is fried, the won't pull down and hold. I still don't understand if I have full power in the breaker box why it won't go out to the coach any ideas.

Bob & Peg Standeford
2004 Saturn Wagon