You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Close call report

Back in my working days (for pay that is) whenever someone had an incident at work that resulted in a minor or no injury they had to fill out a "close call report" so that any changes in our safety policy could be made.
So here is my close call report:
While looking for the leak in my front slide Tom & Clarke had unbolted the awning arms so that we could inspect the top of the slide. Later that day we decided to pull the slide back in so Clarke was on a ladder and I was on another ladder. We were attaching the awning arms when Tom asked me if he should level the coach. I said sure, why not? Well I had my left arm through a rung on the ladder for balance. When the coach started lowering the top of the ladder was under the drip rail on the coach top. The coach was actually pushing the ladder downwards. The ladder started bowing towards the coach with my arm trapped between it and the coach. I yelled at Clarke that my arm was trapped and couldn't get it out. Then a 1/2 second later I yelled that "IT HURTS, HELP!!!!" Clarke ran over and began pushing the ladder away from the coach allowing me to yank my arm out. Meanwhile Tom was frantically trying to raise the coach! Luckily my arm was only bruised.
So the airbag suspension can not only hurt you if you are under the coach but also if you're on a ladder!
Be aware of what's going on whenever you're working on your coach.
*hit happens!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

So glad you are AOK and Clarke "Muscles" was there!

Forrest, Thanx for the report. Reports like these help all of us to be more aware of what we are doing. They serve as a reminder to always look & think ahead.

Another reason to ALWAYS have someone with you while you are working under, or around the coach......if Forest had been alone with no one to intervene this could have been a serious injury.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

It would be rather hard to level the coach from the top of a ladder!!!
Glad all is WELL!!
Working side by side with Ron Skeen, sometimes you must give him plenty room!!!!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Happy to hear only "Bruises".....

Watch out Matt ......lol

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Be careful Matt. Ron may run you straight into a rock on the RZR Smile

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Or Steve may show you how to fly and that's a "Close Call"...lolol

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Close call alert!! We had friends stop by on their way to NE. They had blown 2 front tires on tow vehicle. Dodge dually for tow vehicle. Severe damage to front bumper, both front fenders & 1 running board as well as some light damage to doors & body panels further back ( mostly black marks & scuffing). At first it was thought that dry rot was the culprit. Further investigation revealed that he had miss-judged the "unlock" position on the ignition switch. He had been towing with the steering wheel locked. Just a note to make sure we all double check our equipment before starting out on the highway. No injuries other than to pride. No motor coach damage.

<< He had been towing with the steering wheel locked >>

I always tie a white rag to the top of the steering wheel. I then can confirm that the wheel is unlocked when I see the white rag moving in the backup monitor.

Mike Stephenson
Lubbock, Tx
1999 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2004 MB Cruiser