You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Close call is good idea

Not to take away from Forrest's excellent post on his close call, let me make a second post on another incident.

Outside St.Louis, ten drivers in my lane decided to panic stop. I didn't hit them, but I will always be convinced that two recent changes in my setup kept me from hitting them.

First, I have towed for years without supplemental brakes. I decided to install an M&G system before this trip.

Second, I never ran with the jake on in flat ground because it fights with my cruise control. I customized the jake brake wiring to have it activate off the brake pedal. I was in that mode when the panic stop happened. I also installed a switch that allows me to use accelerator off as the jake activation per normal.

I got on the brakes as hard as I ever have and happy to say I had twenty feet to spare.

But, without jake on full and toad locked up, I don't know.

PS. Father in law says he will never shave in a moving RV again.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

and what about the underwear?

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Glad you were able to tell that story Richard.... My falling off the roof story isn't worth the writing.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Richard, I rigged my Jake brake the same as you have and feel much more comfortable now. However, when I first acquired the coach, I did a panic stop without the Jake which resulted is serious flat spots on my tag tires rendering them worthless.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica