You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Firecoat product

At the Spearfish rally we were given a sample pack of the Firecoat waterless cleaner & protectant products. In their flyer it says "apply just before a road trip so bugs won't stick!!". Has any one tried this? If so, can you give your experience.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, let's also make sure it is OK to use on Diamond Shield. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,
Good question...........................but after Spearfish I needed something to do & removed mine. So if no one has tried the stuff, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

The Wash Wax All also gifted at Spearfish is the product used to clean and wax the 18 planes in the Air Force One Squadron. It is certified by Boeing Aircraft Co. as safe on all surfaces.

Land a jet at 150 knots in a southern airport, you have bugs to clean off.

The Wash Wax All bug procedure is to spray all bugs with the blue colored solution and let sit for 10 minutes to absorb the soap. After 10 minutes respray the bugs or spray the orange scrubber (will not scratch any surface) and agitate the bugs. Then use the microfiber cloth to pick up the bugs and dirt and another cloth to buff to a high shine.

If applied before the trip, it will leave a very slick surface that is harder for bugs to stick to.

See washwax.com for more info, the bug procedure and the mop system that allows me to get the bugs above the windshield while standing on the ground. No ladder, no hose, no mess, no water spots. It is very in-expensive at $28 per gallon.

Hope this helps.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Rudy,
I'm a big fan of Wash/Wax All. It is the main product I'm currently using. I've purchased several gallons and referred others. It has a process for getting bugs off, but I have not seen the ability to keep bugs from sticking. Like most long term rvers I'm always chasing that elusive dream of bugs not sticking in the first place! Firecoat may or not work in keeping bugs from sticking, but I'm willing to give it a try since no one else has. I'm going to apply it before my next trip & I'll report on the results-----positive or negative.

I hope all is well with you and the wife......................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Rudy, I've ordered 2 gal. of wash/wax since Spearfish. Great stuff. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Steve,

The slickest product I know of is RejeX (So slick, nothing sticks but the shine) made by the CorrosionX folks in Dallas.

It is a cross-link polymer wax that will layer up and will layer over what ever is there now. So one needs to remove the previous wax with a good wash of Awesome, Dawn or other really good soap.

Once down to the clear coat, Imron paint or, in my case, gelcoat, apply a good coat of RejeX. Wait at least 20 minutes before buffing off the haze. Then do not wash or drive in the rain for 12 hours while the cross-link curing process occurs. Overnight dew is okay.

Since it will layer up, you can apply another coat in about a month if you wish. It will resist being washed off as it leaves a really durable, slick surface.

Then the Wash Wax All will clean the bugs off really really easily.

Do not get RejeX on anything porous such as the cowling at the base of car and truck windshields or the rubber molding surrounding the windshield. It will get in the pores and will leave the surface white. It is the devil to get off of a porous surface.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

I think I'm now ready for the Firecoat bug test. After removing the vinyl shield that was on the front of my coach I was left with paint that looked like new. I have applied all three Firecoat products in the suggested order. I will report back on my findings of how effective the products were in keeping bugs from sticking.

For background: I have owned five motorhomes over a constant 33 year period and have been removing bugs from the front of each over the same 33 year period. I have tried many methods and feel I can make a good comparative judgement. Up until now I have found nothing that keeps bugs from sticking---no I haven't tried everything. The best method I have found so far to remove bugs is lots of water.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I think that Newell should offer an option of installing a pressure washer that is plumbed in and works off AC power. When you land, you plug a hose and wand into a port on the front of bus, and go to town. I know that many parks do not want you to "wash" your vehicle on-site....but I think that would be ultra cool.

I am sorry I did not take a picture of the Baxtermobile when I got to Disneyworld, but for a generally white bus, mine looked like it was mostly black from the love bugs. I had used washwaxall on the front, and used the product along with the scrubby thingy but it still took me several hours to remove the gunk. (ps. I am thinking about starting a business that uses love bugs as an all natural super-glue).

Steve, I will be looking forward to your report.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
You have brought up another subject that others may not be familiar with--LOVE BUGS. I've only been in them once, but I'll never forget it. Within an hour of driving I had to stop because I couldn't see as it was at dusk. Took me two hours, with hot water, to clear the windshield so I could drive on. Took me two more hours to get the black & yellow, corrosive stuff off the front of my coach at the campground. If I never experience them again it will be toooooooooooooooooo soooooooooooooooon! I believe the bad swarms are a spring & fall phenomenon that is mostly in s/e Texas, Louisiana and Alabama.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531