You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine operating issue...I think

The coach ran like a champ today coming home. Except I seemed to notice that it just ever so slighlty surged on cruise. Just enough that I could feel it. Then when we rolled into town as it shifted down into 2nd gear to go onto the on ramp of I-90 i stepped on the accellarator and for a moment she just did nothing. When I eased off the pedal it slowly picked up speed again. A couple more times in town I gave it a pretty good push and it was just mushy for power. Hockwald would attest that our coach has a great deal of power typically.

So ideas fellas? Fuel filter maybe? I refueled today but only put in like 70 gallans and took it from a little over a quarter to half.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Todd,
On an issue like this the fuel filter is always the first item to address. Any water? Cheap to just replace.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Make sure you refill the new fuel filter(s) with fresh diesel before installing.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Can you guys walk me thru how to do this since I have not done it before? I would like to do this rather than having the mechanic do it. Sounds reasonably straight forward.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Okay....you'll need to buy new filters....I don't recall your setup, but mine has a pre-filter and a filter.....both filters are slightly different, so be sure to write down the part number for each. I would recommend getting a second set just to have around. You may have to buy a filter wrench to get the current ones off....sometimes they are difficult to unscrew by hand. Then fill the new filters with diesel and screw each back on. If that doesn't do the trick then a second thing tha comes to mind is I believe our throttles are air activated, and maybe you have an air pressure problem there. Let us know how changing the filters affects performance. Hoping it is just something simple like that. Oh, and when you pull the current filters off check to see if the appear to be clogged.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Interesting that you mention an air issue as I recall hearing the air I think when I stepped I got he pedal. Wonder if that is it??

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Lots of people will use fresh auto transmission fluid to fill the replacement fuel filters instead of diesel. Much easier to carry with you in quart sizes and more than clean enough. The engine runs fine on it.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Second that, carry a gallon of the cheap ATF just to fill the fuel filter.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

And one good place to buy all your filters is: http://www.filterbarn.com/ might save you some $$ if you are buying a few spares... which is a good thing!

Jimmy

Thanks guys. Talked to the mechanic for a moment today. Two things: the pulsating throttle he think is just as simple as adjusting the pivot point on the accelerator where he attached the new cruise control. Second the mushy peddle he says he thinks is just because its air and its a long line. He said "did you hammer it down?" Yes Larry I did to see if it was mushy. "If you go easy at it does it do ok". Yes Larry seems to I think. "Well don't hammer them and save your money"

Got to love old mechanic wisdom. He also said change the filters just in case.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia