You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Compressor questions

I still say tee into supply line for rear six pack if you need to raise coach to move it. You will have to put in manual to raise the four corners

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard:
Will this also release the air brake? When this happened to me last week the ride height was fine, but the brakes wouldn't release without the pressure staying above approx. 65 lbs. on the supply side. With the size of my leak (the hose coming out of the 120v compressor popped loose) I couldn't keep the air pumped up long enough to disengage the brakes.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Well, so far, I've removed the wheel from the tag axle so I could get to the Air Dryer. I changed the filter and checked the supply line coming from the dryer and it has plenty of air coming out but nothing changed. I have now traced the air line that goes into the top of the manifold and it seems to come from a valve that is located between the drive axle and the transmission cooling fans.(see picture) It appears that this valve also has a line coming in from the 120v compressor and another line that goes towards the small supply tank located in front of the door side drive axle. I've sent these pics to Newell to see what they think and I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to get an answer. I'm learning a lot in the process so it hasn't been a waste of time or energy. For instance, I had no idea that there are 6 air tanks on my coach. The 2 square tanks in the back were a big surprise, I thought there was only the big round tank in the rear along with the 2 in front and the small supply tank. So another successful day of learning something new!

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

Steve,

With an air leak that big, my suggestion would not work.

Larry

That is the distribution manifold that Newell told you about. Sounds a lot like the distribution valve is stuck. I am thinking the distribution valve has to have a check valve in it to prevent all the air brake air from escaping if you have a sudden leak on the supply side.

I hope you have six foot long arms. You might rap it with a hammer to see if it will unstick.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Is there any way to get some Marvel Mystery oil or something similar into your air system before that valve?
That might free it up.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Richard and Forest, I believe this picture show you the Bendix Distribution valves that Newell talked about that are located above and behind the drive axle, one on each side of the cross member and I tapped those with a hammer last week. The valve I'm talking about is where I traced the blue air line that feeds the top of the rear 12 pack. It has 2 directional shut off valves like you would have on a gas line. You can see one of those shuts offs in my last post.

(leave it to my wife to come up with the solution; "trade it in")

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

We may be getting closer to solving this problem. I tapped into the line that feeds the rear six-pack like Richard suggested and I was able to get the rear to air up. (manually) Mike, at Newell believes it is in the DOT valve located above the transmission cooler (see pic) I'm going to try to get to it tomorrow but it looks really difficult to get to let alone turn a wrench, but I'll give it a good try. Hope these old bones don't crack!

Sorry about the late post but I had a little trouble getting on the site. Thanks to Tom that has been corrected. I did get the DOT valve assembly down and that was the problem, just like Mike Ellis at Newell suggested. They have had problems with some of the older valves. This was the toughest job I've had with the Coach. If you ever have to replace this valve I hope you can make it to a pit or lift. Laying on your back under a Coach with no air and replacing this is no picnic. It took me, with a helper, 5 hours just to put the new assembly back, aded to the 6 hours it took to remove the old one and reassembly the new one on the work bench. Oh well, it is fixed and that's the important part. Here's a picture of the assembly I'm talking about. The DOT valve is the new looking part. Sometime, when you are under your Coach, you may want to take a look just to see where yours is located.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

glad you got it fixed larry,

can someone describe what they valve does and if it is also on my 2002?

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

If you have air brakes you have one. It's part of a two part system of your emergency brake system One is the manual control in the drivers area and the second is a fale-safe device for your brakes.. If you loose a line or pressure it activates your brakes.. Help?

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulatio...reg=393.40

Jimmy