You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Black is Black

So, this morning while getting ready to dump and flush my black tank I was threading the hose I use for flushing from the spigot on the driver's side to the passenger side in between the fresh water tank and the black tank like I have always done for the 5 plus years I have owned our 1982 Newell. There are three plugs with wires coming out of them along the bottom of the black tank that connect to the Odor Control box. Many of you you who have Classic Newells know what I am talking about. These plugs are just caulked in place.....apparently. Well the end of the hose hit the middle one once to often and it popped out......imagine my surprise when 30 gallons of effluent began gushing out of the 1.25" diameter hole! I quickly pulled the dump valve to dump the tank and reduce the damage, but these holes are at the very, very bottom of the tank, and it didn't stop gushing out until the tank was empty.

Now I'm standing there mentally cancelling all the plans we had for the day, and wondering how we're going to get the black tank out so we can fix my booboo. There is no way to reach, or even work on the problem as there are only 3-4 inches of space in between the two tanks.

To make a long story much shorter Elaine suggested we remove the fresh water tank instead as there was much less to disconnect, and she was right. It took about 45 minutes to empty the fresh water tank which we did by turning off the city water, and using the water pump to empty it into the sewer. I didn't just want to dump the water on the grass around our coach as it would make it much harder removing the fresh water tank.

Amazingly, we had the 160 gallon fresh water tank out within an hour, and the plug replaced, and caulked into position. Now we just have to dry out the water bay....we had to use the hose to wash out the bay of all the sewage, which we did before we removed the fresh water tank. Once the tank was out Elaine was inside the water bay sanitizing everything with bleach.

I've turned on the electric water bay heater and keeping the temp up around 80 to cure the caulk and dry out the inside.....it is working quickly.

We'll leave the fresh water tank out for a few days while everything dries out, and the caulk cures. We can still use the shower, and sinks, but will have to walk a short distance to the park restroom for a couple of days. Once I'm sure the caulk has cured we'll fill up the black tank with fresh water, leave it under pressure of a full tank of water, and see if it holds.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Know its kinda late but could a plumbers plug or boat plug have worked?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Yep that was exciting I'll bet... When I had my tanks out I coated the flooring with a NAPA version of Rhino Liner Paint (it comes in several colors) it made the flooring bullet proof from moisture after...

Jimmy

Thank goodness we have that linoleum moister barrier on the floor and walls in the water bay that Newell installed for several years. Makes it a little easier to dry out. Of course there was a marine grade plywood sheet underneath the gray tank that has now been sanitized, and is drying in the sun. We're paid through Saturday so plenty of time to put it back together!

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Forest......if I could have reached the hole, yes that would have worked, but there was no way to get either one of our arms in that far even is they were long enough.....4" is just not big enough. On the other hand, pulling out the fresh water tank enables us to do a better job of cleanup, and we had some sediment in the bottom of our fresh water tank from Indianapolis when they had that water line break. Having the tank out enables us to really flush it and then turn it on end to empty it. All the sediment is now gone.

In addition to the one plug I had to re-caulk in, I re-caulked the other two, also. All in all, taking out the fresh water tank was the best option for short and long term results.

I am so grateful for Newell quality construction that enabled us to get the fresh water tank out so easily.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Clarke can I just say that now I think you have two of the best posts so far on this site. Lets call them "sh&$ happens" and "that's not diesel in that pump". Two classic tales.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Well, since we were so busy working on Tom's and my coach in Canada I kept thinking it's Clarke's turn!
Real glad this didn't happen up north....I really like you Clarke but some jobs are best done alone Smile

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

As far North into Candada as you guys went Clarke may have had his own frozen glacier to deal with if it occurred while there.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

hey clarke, just want you to know i would have helped you....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Well I would have loved to have been there when the plug popped out!
Quick, grab the camera....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337