You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Keyless entry

My coach was originally built with a Weiser electonic remote deadbolt--keyless entry. It didn't work when I purchased my coach. I wanted to get it working. Weiser locks had been sold to Kwikset since the unit was manufactured. They said the circuit board was bad & a new one was not available. Kwikset no longer manufactures a deadbolt with a remote, they only make one with a touchpad. I found a company, Morning Industries, that manufactured an electronic deadbolt with two remotes--Model #RF-01sn. Home Depot could get one as a special order for $143. I found them on the internet from $85 to $200. I purchased the lock from a company I could return it to if it was not "Newell quality". Once I got the new lock I realized I needed an extension kit as the door was wider than 1 7/8" so the mounting plate screws were too short. I called the company in SoCal who answered & spoke English. For $15 they sent me the extension kit. It arrived in four days. Replacing the old lock with the new one was a breeze. It was R & R. No new holes, nothing to change. The lock runs on four AA batteries so no wires to run. The only thing I had to do was add a flat washer & star lock washer as the mounting screws were too long when I put in the extension kit. From the outside you just see a normal deadbolt & on the inside is the metal electronic box that is smaller & nicer than the original Weiser box. There is an opening handle on the inside that lock or unlocks the lock without using the remote. It works without involving the electronics.

For anyone who would like an electronic deadbolt that operates with a remote this lock will work as long as your door is not thicker than 2 1/4". There are no wires to run or holes to drill so replacing a non electronic deadbolt with this unit is simple. I read a thread where some folks were worried of being locked out, but this lock always works with the keys from the outside or handle on the inside even if the batteries are removed or dead.

I replace the batteries at the start of the season & am able to use the lock all year without replacing the four AA batteries. I have now owned and used this system for a year and a half without a single problem. Last time I checked Wal*Mart.Com had even lowered the price to less than I paid. The lock also comes in a variety of finishes.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Hey Steve, has your door ever gotten so hot it was hard to unlock. Just wondering if the electronic deadbolt made that even more difficult? Does walmart also carry the tail extension? (wishful thinking) We should be Trippin again soon!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Matt,
No. I've never had the problem of the door sticking due to expansion. I have also never experienced an incident where the lock failed to lock or unlock. I do check occasionally to make sure the key works and always has.

No. Wal*Mart does not carry the extension kit, but a phone call & $15(includes shipping) got it to me in 4 days.

Don't forget we have full hookups if you come through the Branson area.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I ordered my lock and extension kit and received them today. Plan on installing it tomorrow.
Thanks for posting.