You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

basement air conditioner

While traveling how is the coach cooled? Is it necessary to run generator to run air conditioner?

We always run our generator to power AC's when we travel.

I think it depends on how many people are traveling. If just one or two (sitting in front seats) the dash air may be enough. But, if anyone wants to sit in back, I would go with the generator / AC.

John Clark (Newell) talked about this at our mini rally and his opinion was that dash air caused about the same drop in mileage as running the generator, so it was a wash from a fuel standpoint. He also said that he almost never sees a generator die too much use. Normally they fail from too little use / bad maintenance.

It ends up being personal preference, but I am also in agreement that I just run the generator and pump the AC!

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

if we are driving and it is in the slightest way warm, then we are running the genny

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I would sure like to see some specific test information regarding running the dash air vs the generator is a wash as to fuel.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester you mentioned formula..
The answer is within the following lite reading.
http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/anc...1_1957.pdf

It speaks of cars and trucks. I think you would fit closer to the truck figures.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I run the dash air and the front ac on low, no generator

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

So you have your fwd A/C running on the inverter circuit?

That seems like it would put a big load on your alternator and inverter..

But no matter how you cool it... it requires a certian amount of energey to do it...and it all gets that energy from the fuel tank..

Jimmy

two three thousand watt inverters, only pulls 10 amps on low

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589