You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

VSS error

We took our first trip after finding the fault with an unlighted shift pad. It was the power wire in the harness coming from the transmission. With shift pad fixed, we left for a few days. All temps and pressures were fine, but we didn't have a speedometer or cruise control. I made a call to Newell, and they thought it was a speed sensor on the transmission. Once home, the ProDriver display showed VSS fault. This only displayed once, at the end of our trip.

Newell suggested checking the connections at the sensors. So, soon I'll have to crawl under and check.

Any ideas? What should I be looking for? How can you tell if there is a faulty sensor. Any input would be helpful.

David

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

A Google search returned this;

"Anytime you have an intermittent fault indication like that, you should check the battery, it's main cable connections and the charging voltage first before doing anything else. VSS is "vehicle stability system", commonly called "the nanny"." 

I would recommend getting a monitoring system like BlueFire or SilverLeaf. You should reference "Engine and Transmission Monitoring Systems" on the forum.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

(05-21-2024, 07:20 AM)MrE Wrote:  A Google search returned this;

"Anytime you have an intermittent fault indication like that, you should check the battery, it's main cable connections and the charging voltage first before doing anything else. VSS is "vehicle stability system", commonly called "the nanny"." 

I would recommend getting a monitoring system like BlueFire or SilverLeaf. You should reference "Engine and Transmission Monitoring Systems" on the forum.

I'll check those. I thought VSS stood for Vehicle Speed Sensor.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

Check this out VSS Fault from the Wanderlodge Owners Group.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad