You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

wifi question

So have been noticing that when I am in a location that has wifi, sometimes the signal does not pass into the newell.  My brother travels with us at times and has starlink, we can be sitting 30 feet from his unit and cannot get internet signal in the bus. Sure there is a reason. Question is has anyone installed a wifi extender or whatever on the roof to be able to get better signal into the bus ?  winguard wifi extender  ?  king extender  ??

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60  ddec

The coach having a metallic skin as opposed to fiberglass acts as a block to the signal.

We used an extender before going to Starlink, but it would be 10 yrs old and obsolete by today’s tech.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I installed an Alfa wi-fi extender. We don’t use it much. It’s a bit fussy to set up (my skills are limited). It might be fine if we stayed in the same place that had good wi-fi available. It seems most campground wi-fi is overloaded. We mostly stream content with cell phone/ hotspot
If you are trying to hook up to your brothers wi-fi a simple window mounted antenna might do the job.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yep Newells are faraday shields, I put our starlink router in the front window when company needed internet.

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon 

You may look into Wifiranger Everest system. It has an outside receiver on the roof, wired to an inside receiver that re broadcasts inside the coach.

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

(07-02-2024, 08:17 PM)xGE_97 Wrote:  You may look into Wifiranger Everest system. It has an outside receiver on the roof, wired to an inside receiver that re broadcasts inside the coach.

I’m getting ready to use something similar as I’m going to clean up my roof and plan to use one of the holes for a cellular antenna.  Trying to see if there is one that incorporates a wifi extender as others have said above.  It’s one thing to get signal inside the coach, but a whole separate issue to get good wifi outside.

Here is the one I’m planning to add as recommended to me by www.5gstore.com. Only question is if I need the 6.5 ft cabling or 16 ft. My gut says 6.5 won’t cut it from my existing holes. As a side note these folks are fantastic and provide great support with setup, troubleshooting, etc.

https://5gstore.com/product/10997_pepwav...ctors.html

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
Towing 2020 Grand Cherokee Summit
St. Louis, MO