You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ferry Crossings with a Newell!

This is a serious yet fun question.  This past week we took a ferry from Port Angeles WA to Victoria BC and another one from Vancuver Island to Vancuver BC. WITHOUT the Newell.  But as I sat in my car I was wondering if I could do this with the Newell.  The short answer for the Port Angeles/Victoria ferry is NO.  Newells will easily fit but the breakover angle on the enter exit ramp is two much, you will high center a Newell.  The Vancuver Is/Vancuver ferry is a maybe.  It was a double decker and I didn't get to see the entrance/exit ramps on the bottom level where the semis and other large rigs park.

I did see several nice class A's, and C's along with several travel trailers and semis getting on and off.

My questions to you guys is: Have any of you taken your Newell on a ferry?  Of so which one/s and were there any issues we should be aware of.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

Doug, I looked at a few ferrys while on the Alaskan coast last year. The break over angle was a no go from my standpoint. And the break over was highly dependent upon the tide.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Not to sound negative but we took coach 125 from Wa to Victoria twice, once returning to mainland on the Horseshoe Bay ferry, and once on the ferry down Sunshine Coast, which is actually 2 ferries by the time you get to Vancouver. Classic coach had fairly good clearance, we took it into the desert at Florence AZ. with no issues. We also crossed the South Sask river on the ferry once on our way to northern B.C. That was a bit hillbilly crossing cable type ferry and we were parked dead centre on the boat. Marian was a bit jumpy but was trouble free. The newer 45' coaches might not be so much fun.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

(06-03-2024, 07:10 PM)Little Wrote:  Not to sound negative but we took coach 125 from Wa to Victoria twice, once returning to mainland on the Horseshoe Bay ferry, and once on the ferry down Sunshine Coast, which is actually 2 ferries by the time you get to Vancouver. Classic coach had fairly good clearance, we took it into the desert at Florence AZ. with no issues. We also crossed the South Sask river on the ferry once on our way to northern B.C.  That was a bit hillbilly crossing cable type ferry and we were parked dead centre on the boat. Marian was a bit jumpy but was trouble free. The newer 45' coaches might not be so much fun.

Mark,
I have had my Wanderlodge on a Ferry up near Jacksonville Fl. It was no issues with the Wanderlodge, but compared to my Newell the Wanderlodge might as well be a jacked up 4x4, it has tons of clearance. I have to put the Newell on raise to get it in the parking space here at my house, the Wanderlodge just backs right in no clearance issues at all. Actually I usually dump the tag on the Wanderlodge becuase it likes to pick up the drives too much and they spin. Anyways I think the classic coaches have alot more clearance than the newer ones.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I was looking at some pics of the mid 90's Newells. Pretty low. The classic Newells have it all. The places we went with that one were sometimes a bit iffy but never had any trouble. At Florence we drove east of hiway on desert trail past all of the Rv's till we came to a spot where all the 4x4 trucks were parked. Unloaded the side x sides and tore around there for 3 days. Left the inverter and electric heaters on and came back to dead batteries. On the way out the trail had washed out some and we had to put our blocks in the gouge in the road to get thru. No problem. Fun times.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

We go to the coast alot hear in Texas. Do not take your newell on the ferrys in galveston or port Aransas. As stated above they will drag.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp