You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Southco electric bay latch complete failure

(06-23-2024, 09:38 AM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  Hi Bob!!

I know you, being so sharp with Electrical Engineering and mechanics, will be the key to success...hopefully for others.  I'm helping a couple other buddies with the same latch failures.  They just learned that Newell stopped carrying these "old" versions and won't restock them for anything less than a 200 unit order...YIKES!
200 is only 11 Newell coaches .....  We could probably do better with a group order.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

(06-13-2024, 06:12 PM)xGE_97 Wrote:  Sounds like option 3. You just want to prevent a stuck-on handle from doing the watusi on the latch.
What causes the handle to stick?  None of mine seem to have any interference.  

The mechanical release failure is concerning, what's the point of a backup feature if it doesn't work.  Do you think pushing in on the door would have released pressure allowing the rod to release the latch?  Now that we can see the internal parts, do you think it would be possible to move the release rod around and perhaps reengage the release?  What tool would do that?

Jim

Hi Jim,
You know, its possible to move the release arm enough to re-engage with the release lever. However, that would need to be done while the door is open. There is no way I can think of to re-engage it while the door is closed. First obstruction  is the cable retainers that are glued to the door. Second, you'd need to have a method to grab that release arm and force it backards to re-engage. So maybe it could be done but in my opinion it would increase the frustration by an order of magnitude. I was already considering the possible variations of family history for the designers. (hahahaha)

Ok, so the handle is basically a momentary electrical switch. While you have it pulled "open", it is active and applys 12V to flow to the latch. When it is released and it returns to the "closed" position, it is inactive and removes the 12V from the latch. In my case, something caused the handle to stick in the open position. It had never done that before. The other aspect about that handle is that when I pushed it closed, the latches remained activated. I could hear them; and the cam in the throat of the latch would not close when I pushed it closed with my leatherman. That's when I ran to press the bay door lock switch (kills the 12V to the bay doors).

My take away from that is the handle must have a slotted cam / link method of connection (This is a guess because I haven't seen it). That's why there was no effect when I pushed it closed. I will relay this info to the electrician here when he puts the new latches in. Ooh! looks like someone is walking this way! Maybe they're gonna work on our coach.

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

FWIW, when I have pressure washed the coach I have had a bay door open while driving several times.  This occurred immediately after pressure washing before it dried out.

Jim

(06-25-2024, 04:14 PM)xGE_97 Wrote:  Steve,

Thanks. Yeah, we'll get 'er done. Richard Entriken had a solution using some off the shelf programmable modules. I haven't tested anything with a latch yet. And, I haven't done more work yet because I'm working other issues and trying to nail down a site and activities for a 2026 Teton rally. (Now I'm an SOB).

So as Jim said on this post somewhere back a few pages, Southco still makes this latch. Newell stopped using it because of "quality" issues. They've gone to a new latch that doesn't fail (as often, supposedly). I'm going to ask for any failed latches they may have. I hope to either cut one of these apart or find out that they don't fail (hahahahahaha) as often.

Good to hear from you. BTW, we love your youtube channel, RV SQUARED. Lots of good stuff there. We watched all of it. So many people are visual communicators, meaning that it doesn't sink in unless they see it or actually do it. Well done.

Bob, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the kind words...it's folks like you that make me enjoy producing my videos!

I'll be anxious to hear what you and Richard create!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA