You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Need help chasing a voltage drop

I do not know what your situation is, so take this comment with a boulder of salt.

The ugly truth of some campgrounds is that their power supply is inadequate. The Hughes can help but it is not always effective.

I can tell you this. If you continue to run your air conditioners below 110V, you will soon be replacing the compressors in the AC units. How long you can get away with it has too many variables to estimate.

The totally oversimplified math of the situation is this. Watts = Volts X Amps. The wattage of the compressor motor is a fixed number. So if volts goes down, amps MUST go up. As the amp draw climbs so does the heat in the windings of the compressor motor.

Please read my comments as a response to your self declared “electricity is not my strong suite”. I just wanted you to have enough info to make informed decisions. You may not be able to move to a different campground. You may not be able to survive without AC. You may chose to run the generator during the hottest part of the day.

Our coaches were not designed to work very well on 30 amp service. 30 amp service with low voltage to begin with is NO BUENO.

If I had no options, I would only run 1 unit on LOW to keep the 2nd compressor from kicking in.

My opinion, others may comment differently.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
Need help chasing a voltage drop - by dbld58 - 07-21-2022, 12:38 PM
RE: Need help chasing a voltage drop - by Richard - 07-21-2022, 05:22 PM
RE: Need help chasing a voltage drop - by dbld58 - 07-21-2022, 06:40 PM
RE: Need help chasing a voltage drop - by Richard - 07-21-2022, 07:01 PM
RE: Need help chasing a voltage drop - by dbld58 - 07-22-2022, 12:06 PM
RE: Need help chasing a voltage drop - by Richard - 07-22-2022, 12:39 PM
RE: Need help chasing a voltage drop - by dbld58 - 07-22-2022, 01:00 PM