You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking for a tow bar

Well, I can tell you what I've been using along with all the top models I've seen on the newest coaches.

First off, braking:
We've always had the AIR FORCE ONE braking system and insist everyone has one...or similar...to which there are none like that system.

As for tow-bar/baseplates:
I've used ROADMASTER for the past 5 years to tow our Raptor.
First was the Sterling, and now I'm using the NightHawk with side lighting.
RM is nicely designed and the cabling runs internal down the tubes. Only small downside is stowing; the cables stay on and are best managed with the nice cover.

Others will use:
BlueOx is very popular. Demco is out there, but very very few in numbers.

Now, being honest...all of the failures in the past 2 years...and I know of at least a half dozen...have been with BlueOx. Most have been Jeeps. The plates and/or bolts have fractured, causing catastrophic failures including one Jeep being a runaway total.

Yes, the fact that BlueOx has probably been the most popular towing assembly may account for the higher incidents of failure. HOWEVER, there are several take-home points for you to consider.

1. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS maintain/check your plates, bolts and hardware..not just routinely, but pretty much every time you hook up, as well as periodically on your longer hauls. I know of a very (very) accomplished...aka professional driver...who by the grace of GOD, did one of these checks after hearing about these failures ONLY TO FIND HIS BLUEOX PLATE had fractured and one arm had already snapped off. He was very fortunate and now a believer in frequent checking.

https://youtu.be/Kaf23jdxw2g?si=aB6nVMlVUnwriPml

2. Safety tethers to secure your Baseplates to the Frame. This is ESPECIALLY critical on Jeeps with aftermarket bumpers, in which some folks will secure the baseplate to the BUMPER...and then guess what? Yeah, the bumper breaks off and takes everything with it...including the breakaway break system!

So, these are some suggestions, based on real world incidents and not just my opinion.

I think the RM and BO function pretty much the same way, now, with the tension release. The connection are basically the same idea...a single pin through the tow arms.

I can't give you my opinion of using a BO, or any other braking system since the RM and AFO is all I know and I have no complaints with either.

HTH

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Messages In This Thread
Looking for a tow bar - by pinkston_chris - 09-08-2023, 05:47 PM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by Trainer - 09-09-2023, 05:50 AM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by CaptainGizmo - 09-09-2023, 10:34 AM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by BusNit - 09-09-2023, 02:47 PM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by DK on the road - 09-10-2023, 08:30 PM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by CaptainGizmo - 09-10-2023, 10:04 PM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by Richard - 09-11-2023, 05:43 AM