You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Nail in tag tire

Adrian, and others who may utilize this info in the future.

I too caught a nail once in the outer 1 inch of tread on one of the tag tires. The tire shop would not fix it, saying the fix would not last because of the flexure in that area. I have also read in the Michelin tire book something to the same effect.

Like you, the choice of tires was limited where we were located. Given that the tag is completely independent of all other tires, and that it carries about 5000 lbs on our coach, I felt comfortable going with one new tire, and one with a lesser load range to replace the tag tire.

This approach would NOT work on any of the drive tires because of any differences in rolling radius, but the tag is a unique situation.

If you stare at the load inflation tables long enough you will see that IF you go with a lower load range the pressure require is NOT different at the loads the tags carry on our era coaches.

And while at it, I will throw in one more tidbit. Obviously, at 5K per tire, the pressure required doesn’t really show up on the inflation tables. Once I lowered the tag tire psi all the way to 70 just to see if it effected handling or ride quality. I couldn’t feel any difference, but in 500 miles I did notice a cupping wear pattern developing on the tag tire. So I increased the tag tire psi back to 100 psi and the wear pattern stopped, and eventually disappeared.

I ran that tire for four years without a single issue.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
Nail in tag tire - by pairodice - 10-14-2023, 11:48 AM
RE: Nail in tag tire - by pairodice - 10-14-2023, 12:43 PM
RE: Nail in tag tire - by ccjohnson - 10-14-2023, 01:03 PM
RE: Nail in tag tire - by pairodice - 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
RE: Nail in tag tire - by Richard - 10-15-2023, 05:46 AM
RE: Nail in tag tire - by pairodice - 10-17-2023, 12:10 PM
RE: Nail in tag tire - by pairodice - 10-18-2023, 01:06 PM