You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacement converter/charger

I'm going through some maintenance items before winter storage (running behind schedule as usual).
I have a couple of electrical questions:
I have one dead and one weak battery to replace.
The alternator is fried, I think caused by the dead battery and age (original). It's not rebuildable.
#1:
I have two 8d's for starting and two 8d coach batteries I see a few posts in other forums recommending replacing 8d's with 3 group 31's. Pros/cons of replacing the start batteries with two new 8d's and the coach with 6 deep cycle group 31's. Will different batteries charge ok when the engine is running and when plugged in or should I just keep all 8d's? I have had very good luck with Interstate group 31's in my previous camper and boats and can get them from my local store for a very good price ($30).

#2:
The converter / charger appears to be original, it only charges at 11.5 volts (per meter and nameplate data), this seems pretty low to charge or even maintain them.
I'm considering a Progressive Dynamics 70 amp converter with the charge wizard, I'm hoping this will provide more life and better performance for the new batteries, is it worth doing?

Thanks

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Messages In This Thread
Replacement converter/charger - by wepaddle4 - 11-22-2013, 07:47 PM
RE: Replacement converter/charger - by whatsnewell - 11-23-2013, 07:55 AM
RE: Replacement converter/charger - by wepaddle4 - 11-23-2013, 11:58 AM
RE: Replacement converter/charger - by whatsnewell - 11-23-2013, 02:30 PM
RE: Replacement converter/charger - by wepaddle4 - 12-08-2013, 07:30 PM