You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bay Door Trim Reinstallation

The bottom trim strip extrusion on my water bay door had come a bit loose. It was attached by double sided adhesive tape and I managed to cut it loose with a long flat spatula-like tool. Then I had the unenvious job of cleaning the tape and adhesive residue off using a razor blade and a 3M scrubber. I tried using several solvents but never found one that worked well.

Forest had mentioned that the factory recommended the double sided tape or epoxy. The tape had not held so I went with WEST brand G/flex epoxy for about $22. Per their recommendation I wet-sanded the first coat of epoxy onto the door and the trim. Once cured I sanded it to give the epoxy some tooth. Since I had left the door on the coach I mixed the G/flex bonding coat with a small amount of WEST microfibers to give the mix more gap filling ability, slathered it on the trim strip and clamped it in place. After curing for a day I tested the bond by giving the bottom of the trim a hard yank and it stayed put so I guess it worked.

BTW; if you wax the finished surfaces in the area being worked on the cured epoxy peels off easily. It worked for me even though I had not thought about it ahead of time, the wax just happened to have been there. I was lucky, again.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Messages In This Thread
Bay Door Trim Reinstallation - by 77newell - 04-10-2014, 02:57 PM
RE: Bay Door Trim Reinstallation - by Chester Stone - 08-07-2014, 05:52 PM
RE: Bay Door Trim Reinstallation - by HoosierDaddy - 08-07-2014, 06:39 PM
RE: Bay Door Trim Reinstallation - by arcticdude - 08-07-2014, 08:23 PM