You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Where does the air for the seals come from?

Gang,

I have been playing with the compressor in my coach. (long story, another thread)

I learned something about my coach that others may find interesting. If you have slides....do you know the source of the air for the seals? I always believed and would have bet money on....that the air for the seals comes from the rear air tank that is supplied by the 12V air pump. I thought the purpose of the 12V pump is to backup the 120V air compressor. That made sense to me. You really, really want to have air for the most important systems (the toilet, doors and seals).

The tank in front of the rear wheels can take pressure from the 12V as well as the 120V compressor and has a check valve so that it won't backfeed.

Here is what I learned today: The front slide seals are supplied from the tank near the 120V compressor. The rear slide seals are supplied from the rear tank. I am shocked.

The way that I figured this out was by turning off both air compressors. Then I let the air out of the front tank by releasing the petcock. I just happened to look at the front slide seals. (deflated). I then looked at the rear slide seals....(inflated).

I have often left the coach with the 120V air compressor turned off....believing that the 12V air compressor would keep the seals inflated. (I was wrong).

So the moral of the story...Even things that you are sure that you understand....well you may not be correct!

For what its worth!
Cheers,
bill
ps. If anyone has a better explanation please feel free to correct the record.
pps. If anyone does the same test, please report your findings.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Messages In This Thread
Where does the air for the seals come from? - by bikestuff - 10-27-2014, 10:20 AM
RE: Where does the air for the seals come from? - by RussWhite - 10-27-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Where does the air for the seals come from? - by lbrachfe - 10-27-2014, 11:11 AM
RE: Where does the air for the seals come from? - by bikestuff - 10-27-2014, 01:45 PM
RE: Where does the air for the seals come from? - by RussWhite - 10-27-2014, 02:21 PM
RE: Where does the air for the seals come from? - by Yachts - 10-27-2014, 05:51 PM
RE: Where does the air for the seals come from? - by bikestuff - 10-27-2014, 06:02 PM
RE: Where does the air for the seals come from? - by RussWhite - 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM