You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bad water heater switch

I have an '89 with a 20 gal Raritan 120V water heater; and the switch inside the coach (kitchen) just went bad. It physically broke internally. I'm trying to figure out how to get the heater working again as we begin our trip from Maine to Florida tomorrow. The switch in question is a Carling rocker switch, rated at 125V 16A. I have tried replacing it with a similarly rated Taiwanese switch, also having three spade prongs in the back. The numbering system on the replacement is reversed from top to bottom, 3,2,1 instead of the 1,2,3 on the old Carling switch. I have tried reconnecting the wires both ways, 1,2,3 and 3,2,1 with no luck. I would be satisfied just connecting the wires together with a wire nut and leaving the heater permanently on, since I could flip the circuit breaker if I needed to turn it off. However, I am confused by the fact that there are three spades in the back instead of only two. I don't know which is which: which one might be for the internal light in the switch, or a ground, or what. We are beginning the trip on a Sunday. Since the new switch hasn't worked, and I'm unsure about the wiring plan for the switch, I will just rely on the engine heat to warm our water unless someone can advise me on a way to bypass the switch. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. - Dick Quirk

Messages In This Thread
Bad water heater switch - by Quirkrjiii - 11-15-2014, 09:30 AM
RE: Bad water heater switch - by Quirkrjiii - 11-15-2014, 11:48 AM
RE: Bad water heater switch - by Fulltiming - 11-15-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Bad water heater switch - by Quirkrjiii - 11-16-2014, 06:15 AM
RE: Bad water heater switch - by encantotom - 11-16-2014, 08:13 AM
RE: Bad water heater switch - by JAMES TUCKNESS - 11-17-2014, 10:34 AM