You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Its only a tree

I took the coach into town to get it emissions tested today.  here in az we have to do that every year.  it is a pain in the neck.  

but first a little history with getting my newells emission tested.

1.  my 90 38 ft newell.  first time i took it to the testing place near our home in mesa.  you go through a gate and once you are in, you are in.  i pull into the stall and in front of the door is a block wall about 15-20ft from the door.  uh oh.  it took about a half an hour jockeying to get it out.  

2.  next year i go there and tell them it got stuck.  they gave me an exemption and for the rest of the time i had that coach they waived the testing.  dunno really why, just did

3.  enter the 45'8" 2002 newell.  i know it is not going to fit in that same testing facility.  i call the testing facility central number and they tell me to go to one in apache junction.  it is a serpentine entry i hardly made it through.  the test the coach and then it becomes obvious i am not going to get out the way i am supposed to.  they close the entire place down for half an hour while i manage the turn the coach around in the area and then go out the way i came in.  quite a spectacle. 

4.  the next year i go to the one that allegedly school busses and tour bus companies use in downtown phoenix.  i barely got in there and barely out as well.  the first thing they say is something like that is huge.  we dont get them that big.  

5.  then i move to the country.  i go to one in suprise az.  and surprisingly, if you get in the right stall, it is easy to get out of.  except that first time i go there my entry step gets stuck out and the width of the doors in the facility is so tight that i had to get the steps in before it would get out of the stall.   

6.  the next few years no problems at the same place.  

7. TODAY....a beautiful fall day here.  80 some degrees.  i put the slides in, air it up and pull out of the shop.  happy to drive the newell.  it is a bout 15 miles to the testing facility.  i know i need to be in the only stall that i can get out of without a hassle.  i get there and it is packed.  the stall i need is closed for repairs.  now i am in the line for the stall i know i cant make the turn out of .  the guy comes to me and says a word i dont use and i said i wouldnt be able to get out.  he said....i know, but you cant back out.  

so, i get tested, and the guy says something about driving a house.  now 3 guys are guiding me out.  i have to pull into their employee parking lot, then jockey around in reverse to back into a lane so i could get out.  as i was backing out of the lot, i hear scraping on the roof.  i motioned to the guy helping me to the tree.  i said it is scraping....he said the classic statement.

IT'S ONLY A TREE

I tell him i really dont want to hit it.  it seemed a foreign thought to him.  

i got out and enjoyed the drive home.  i park the coach outside the shop and wash it down before i put it away

as i was driving home i contemplated just keeping going , but alas, i needed to go home

happy monday

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Messages In This Thread
Its only a tree - by encantotom - 11-13-2017, 03:02 PM
RE: Its only a tree - by Fulltiming - 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM
RE: Its only a tree - by ccjohnson - 11-13-2017, 04:27 PM
RE: Its only a tree - by folivier - 11-13-2017, 06:02 PM
RE: Its only a tree - by Keith Jordan - 11-13-2017, 06:12 PM
RE: Its only a tree - by Winegrower - 08-29-2020, 10:58 AM
RE: Its only a tree - by Mhcorrigan - 08-29-2020, 11:29 AM
RE: Its only a tree - by Richard - 08-29-2020, 01:40 PM