You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

The curious case of the uncomfortable couch

The real workhorse of this project is the sewing machine. Some years ago I bought this beast to fix some of the awnings. It has more than paid for itself. 

While I had the frame out, I decided that one of the reasons it sagged in the middle was either worn out springs or too few springs. So I might have doubled the original count.

More is better, right? 

I learned a huge trick from Utube, actually from an ancient Mexican who spoke no English The entire U tube session was silent, just pictures of him sewing. He used staples to prealign the edges and curves prior to sewing. WOW! I had been trying to do it with pins, and pins do not like to go through two layers of leather. They will however go through one layer of skin just fine. Anyway, that trick is a gem. Simply pop out the staples after the seam is done. Quick, cheap, and easy. 

In the first post I hinted there was a third contributor to the vertical back. This fix actually took the longest to figure out and correct. There is a TEE shaped bracket the slides in a rail of the frame when the couch is deployed as a bed. If the vertical arm of that tee is lengthened by about 1/4 inch it kicks the back of the couch back another inch, and makes the couch flatter when deployed. However, this required cutting the bracket and welding it back a 1/4 longer. Not really something I would expect an upholstery shop to do. 

Last but not least, I have two sets of perfectly good leather covers for that style couch if anyone wants them

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
The curious case of the uncomfortable couch - by Richard - 02-23-2018, 02:41 PM
RE: The curious case of the uncomfortable couch - by Richard - 02-23-2018, 02:59 PM
RE: The curious case of the uncomfortable couch - by bikestuff - 02-23-2018, 04:04 PM
RE: The curious case of the uncomfortable couch - by folivier - 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM
RE: The curious case of the uncomfortable couch - by LynnJeff - 02-23-2018, 06:19 PM