You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pedestal Breakers, three in a row

So, after I made this post, I heard an offhand comment by a RV park tech that made all the sense in the world. He wasn't even talking to me, I just overheard him talking to another tech.

What he said was "these breakers are not meant to be on off switches". He is right. We are all taught to flip the 50 amp off before plugging in, and flip it back on after plugging in. That is just fine and dandy if you are the person that kills all the loads inside such as AC before plugging in.

But we see it all the time, dude kills the gennie killing the ACs. Then plugs in, flips breaker and all AC's come to life. That has to be a tremendous rush of current through the partially closed contacts in the breaker in the microseconds before it completely closes. The breaker is will not stand up to that, and think about how many times in a season that happens.

It was a big a ha moment for me as to why so many 50 amp breakers in RV parks are faulty.

Can you tell the Covid shut in has me a little stir crazy?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
Pedestal Breakers, three in a row - by Richard - 07-06-2019, 03:52 AM
RE: Pedestal Breakers, three in a row - by bikestuff - 07-06-2019, 04:42 AM
RE: Pedestal Breakers, three in a row - by Joe Galowitch - 07-06-2019, 08:14 AM
RE: Pedestal Breakers, three in a row - by folivier - 07-06-2019, 08:22 AM
RE: Pedestal Breakers, three in a row - by pairodice - 07-07-2019, 04:52 PM
RE: Pedestal Breakers, three in a row - by encantotom - 07-07-2019, 05:01 PM
RE: Pedestal Breakers, three in a row - by encantotom - 07-07-2019, 05:04 PM