You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!!

I'm seeking advice from anyone that can help me or tell me what you would do in my predicament.  I'll try to be as detailed but as short as possible and not turn this into a rant.

Last September I needed routine annual maintenance done on engine and generator.  After reading great reviews and them telling me that some coaches come from Alaska to get service done there...I picked a family owned shop in Eustis FL, Nichols RV & Truck, and was planning on waiting that day for a quick oil change and filter.  I asked the owner how much it would be to fix the electrolysis on the coach, treat and repaint the areas including other faded or scuffed areas around the coach.  The quote was $10,000 and needed to be in the shop for 4 weeks.  I agreed and asked if they could look into other minor and annoying issues while they worked on the paint and gave them a laundry list and they said they'll look into it.  I said great and left.  As I was driving home they called and said they can't move the slides in or out (I've never had a problem with the slides) and I advised them to call Newell since they knew how to walk someone over the phone and troubleshoot.  Days later they inspected the coach and found a couple air bags and shocks that needed to be replaced.  I asked them to quote installation on new air bags and shocks and they said about an hour per shock and airbag.  So I ordered all new shocks and airbags and shipped them to the shop in October.  So far so good.

Fast forward to December and a 21 email thread later with status updates, part orders, etc, when I decided to get a revised price quote (with a mental estimate of around $13,000-$15,000 and I already paid for parts myself).  They said they'd have that for me by the end of the day. 5pm came and went.  Next day I called again.  5pm came and went.  3rd day I called again.  4:55pm they call and said the price is up to $35,000!  WHAT???  I asked them to stop maintenance immediately and give me an invoice so I can see where things went off track .  They didn't have an estimate or invoice and said "since every mechanic had a hand in the coach it is too difficult to add up all the labor hours."  Meanwhile the slides were still inop, the shocks and airbags were not installed and none of my laundry list items were addressed.  But the paint was done and "looks great."  Two weeks later I get an email.  They still don't have an itemized invoice but are estimating 220 hours of labor and because they appreciate me letting them work on my coach, the new total is $22,000.

Right around this time I get a text message from Richard asking me how I like driving on my new King Shocks.....  I gave him the whole story.  Being an amazing and humbling person that Richard is, he offered to drive over to Nichols RV & Truck with me early January and evaluate the situation since it was relatively close to his house.  We spoke to Jim, the owner, David the manager (who is Jim's son) and a couple mechanics.  The coach was sitting in a far back dirt lot, no air, some shocks and airbags not installed, one hub cap missing and bedroom seals deflated.  There were a couple areas of paint that were missed and the front 3M/diamond shield was completely corroded - no issues when I dropped the coach off.  After we hooked up some shop air and could open the door, I didn't see any interior water damage (or anything missing) thankfully.  It was obvious that the mechanics have never worked on a Newell coach before and was using my coach as training.  Richard and I sat down with the manager and revised the list to ONLY install the shocks, airbags and fix the slides, and put a tarp over the rear of the coach to prevent water intrusion.  They said ok.

Fast forward to last thursday, SIX WEEKS later with no phone call, email or text.  I emailed for an update.  This is the response I get:

"still finding and working on the air system and leaks..... I believe the two rear axles have the shocks and air bags installed and the front air bags are being worked on as I am typing. Once they are complete we will be working on the slide room systems with the tech on the phone with valid, if necessary. I am hoping much sooner than later for completion but we were behind with the absences and I had one of the other mechanics never come back .... putting me further behind in completing the various jobs in house. These are not your concerns but with only one individual working on multiple jobs that are all involved it set the dominoes falling. Thank you for your patience and Hopefully this will come to an end soon. Sorry for the delay in communication. I will let you know as info becomes available to me."

Now that you have the back story, what would you do??  Do you continue to be patient after waiting for 5 months?  Do you tow it somewhere else assuming it could even be towed without airbags and/or shocks?  Do you get a lawyer involved and see if you have a case?  Personally, I don't know what to do.  My patience has officially run out.  I'm worried about the coach sitting for so long and potential water intrusion, generator problems, aquahot issues, other things that weren't a problem before and who knows what else.  And when, if ever, the coach is finally done, what do I do about this ridiculously high estimate?  At this rate I hope I can make it to the rally on May 4th!  

Any and all opinions, questions, concerns and suggestions/advice welcomed!

Thanks,
Vinnie
619 929 9000

Vinnie 

2003 Newell Coach #667, Triple slide

Messages In This Thread
My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by Cienzo1 - 02-24-2020, 09:42 AM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by encantotom - 02-24-2020, 11:00 AM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by Tony Van Helden - 02-24-2020, 02:37 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by LynnJeff - 02-24-2020, 03:58 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by DK on the road - 02-24-2020, 06:48 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by rheavn - 02-24-2020, 07:35 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by bikestuff - 02-24-2020, 07:37 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by NotSoFast - 02-25-2020, 01:28 AM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by folivier - 02-25-2020, 06:42 AM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by Junior Guru - 02-25-2020, 09:23 AM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by Junior Guru - 02-25-2020, 09:31 AM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by DK on the road - 02-25-2020, 02:03 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by MrE - 02-25-2020, 06:14 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by Cienzo1 - 03-09-2020, 03:08 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by Junior Guru - 03-09-2020, 03:22 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by Deper10 - 03-09-2020, 04:36 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by ron skeen - 03-09-2020, 06:39 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by KJones - 03-09-2020, 08:07 PM
RE: My coach has been in the shop for...5 MONTHS!!! - by [email protected] - 03-10-2020, 11:53 AM