You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions

I ran into someone selling a 2003 Gillig Transit Bus motor-transmission-radiator basically this is a frame cut that has been in his building for 5 years. He runs a bus company in Dearborn close to Detroit. From the pictures it looks ok and it's supposed to run and all that stuff. Time will tell.

I'm hoping on some sage advice on what to check and what needs to be replaced or serviced. Due to the age and unknown nature I'll be doing an oil analysis first to confirm as much as I can. This is the CAPS Fuel System so it does have some weak area's right off the bat. I'll update the lift pump and will most likely be going through the engine and transmission - it was basically too cheap to pass up. It also has the side mount radiator which should be fun since mine is in the back.

Has anyone done the Fass or other upgrades? I don’t Newell had this as an engine option. I have heard of a few Guru’s doing a Cummins 8.3 upgrade on the older units like mine.

My coach currently has a Navstar 9.0 litre out of a school bus that was put in shortly before I bought it three years ago. I've been hoping to find an 8.3 mechanical injection engine - I've seen some, but in most cases either I'd have to buy an $8,000 bus to get one ot it was 3 or 4 states away.

I have lots of time to get this right, my coach won't be out till next year in the summer at the earliest plus the old diesel I have now runs great. I'd just like to have something that can get up the hills better and has the capability to engine brake going down. I don't think it has a Jake Brake on it since it was a transit bus. More to come on that if there's any interest.

Thanks in advance - John

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Messages In This Thread
75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-23-2020, 02:35 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by Richard - 10-23-2020, 05:04 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by MrE - 10-24-2020, 11:36 AM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-24-2020, 04:39 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-24-2020, 05:37 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by MrE - 10-24-2020, 09:27 PM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-25-2020, 08:03 AM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by superbirds - 10-27-2020, 05:54 AM
RE: 75 Coach - Cummins ISC upgrade suggestions - by MrE - 10-27-2020, 10:24 AM