You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

No Power Steering

This is a problem I had last year on my coach. I want to record what happened here in case it will help anyone else.

My power steering started getting jerky a couple years ago. It finally got to a point where I had no power assist. And yes, it becomes a beast without power steering.

I can usually fix most things myself. I replaced the hydraulic pump, and spent quite a bit of time talking to mechanics at Newell. After replacing a few more items (including the new hydraulic pump) I finally threw in the towel decided to try to make it to Miami (from Dallas) and let the experts fix it.

It took Newell mechanics 5 man-days (1 guy for 3 days, and another for 2) to finally figure the problem out. (They removed and replaced almost everything two or three times, and even removed the steering gear). 

The problem was in the hydraulic fan motor. Unfortunately it was not documented anywhere that there is something in the fan motor that controls the power steering.  No one thought they were connected... and the fan appeared to be running properly. But in the end the fan was either restricting fluid going to the steering gear, or diverting it.  The fan motor was changed and I was back on the road. 

I was feeling rather dumb that I couldn't figure the problem out. The only redeeming thing I got out of the whole experience was the satisfaction that it took 5 days for professional mechanics to figure out the problem.  Smile 

My engine is an S60.

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

Messages In This Thread
No Power Steering - by AlanJohnson - 01-05-2021, 06:13 PM
RE: No Power Steering - by Richard - 01-06-2021, 10:44 AM
RE: No Power Steering - by 360 - 08-19-2021, 11:24 AM
RE: No Power Steering - by RussWhite - 08-19-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: No Power Steering - by Richard - 08-19-2021, 03:49 PM
RE: No Power Steering - by encantotom - 08-19-2021, 06:49 PM