You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hi Everyone - Intro & Looking to Get into a 1982 38 Classic

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Wil and I'm here because I've currently got a purchase pending on a 1982 38 ft "Classic" I guess is what they go by.  It's got a Detroit 6v92 engine in it and I failed to get the transmission numbers.  I've already learned a lot from the posts here and hope to be able to learn some more and add a bunch of my own experience to it if this all works out.  I have the following challenges that I know of, if anyone is interested or has experience:

1. It's 3 hours away from me
  2. Coach has been sitting for about 3 years - last started 9 months ago, before I went to look and got it started briefly.
  3. Won't stay running at the moment - I think it was probably the fuel filter (I replaced the primary) or fuel prime or a combo, but my batteries (woefully undersized) went dead and I ran out of time before I could really troubleshoot
  4. Air seems to be leaked all the way down - probably not running long enough or well enough to pump itself back up, but next time I will try to use an air compressor now that I've learned a little about that - It's an air throttle, so you can't even try to keep it running without going back there and moving it by hand
  5. I'm in NC where we have a limit of 26001 lbs for a regular class C license - I have a feeling this thing is more than that?  So if that is the case, even if I got it drivable I might not be able to drive it legally.  Thoughts on weight?  I forgot to look for a GVWR tag while I was there.  Dodgy
  6. At this point - I think I'm leaning towards having it transported/towed the 200 or so miles to my house where I can work on it and don't have to worry about the legalities of driving it, or the maintenance and repairs required to get it safe to drive,  but maybe I'm just being too paranoid.  Maybe I should just go for it? Smile  The owner said she would not have an issue with me letting it sit there while I work on it some after I buy it.
Anyway, long intro, but I figured I would just jump right in.  Hope everyone is doing well and had a great Memorial Day!

Thanks,

Wil

Messages In This Thread