You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How many labor hours to replace an airbag on Newell Coach?

If you ever had one or more airbags replaced by any shop, would you please share info on how many hours of labor your repair shop charged you?
Please say how many airbags and how many hours of labor. You don't have to disclose the rate or total.

I am asking for this info from you because I just got an invoice from my repair shop. Kind of shocked to see the total labor charge of $9362 for replacing 6 airbags and 3 leveling valves.  This is labor only charge, not including material (air bags I bought from Newell directly, then brought to the shop). (Total bill is slightly over 10K which includes some other chargers like screws, washer, tire disposal fee $100, etc). I'd like to get some of your experience in replacing airbags/leveling valves.

Some background: 
Later in March this year (2022), I drove my 2004 Coach 701 to a repair shop because the coach leaned to the passenger side.
Upon inspection, the shop recommends replacing 2 airbags on the drive axle.  Newell didn't have the replacement airbags in stock then, so I bought 4 from Europe and sent them to the shop; I sent a total of 4 airbags (2 extra than originally requested), just in case they'd say all 4 need to be replaced.
The shop only used 2 of the 4 airbags supplied. When finished, the bill was over $4K. 

Then on the picking-up day of the coach, this happened, it was towed back to the shop. This time the shop suggested replacing all airbags and 3 leveling valves. 
So, the labor charge for replacing 2 airbags for $4k, then replacing another 6 airbag for $9K. These figures are labor only, not including any parts charge. 

I bought the needed hardware (airbags, leveling valves, new batteries, etc.) and then brought it to the shop. Although they did use some screws, washers, etc, those are charged separately from the labor. 
When I delivered the new 8D batteries, I took back the 2 dead ones in the engine bay (measured only 4V), and put them on a charger for 24 hours. Then tested with a battery tester; surprisingly, the test results show they are still good batteries and charges held well. These 2 batteries from the engine bay are dated 03/22. The 6 batteries from the house, with date stamp 03/19, they were also ~4v, most won’t charge, although 2 of them seem okay after recharging.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Messages In This Thread