You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Opinions matter

You asked for input.

First, I think more research is needed to establish the true mileage. For example, a Carfax or similar title search should provide data to go along with what you have already learned.

There are all kinds of scenarios that fit the ECM mileage situation. First, the ECM could have come from another Series 60, and not have been reprogrammed. I have a second ECM, that was supposed to be programmed to show the carryover mileage from the original ECM. Supposed to, but it does not. It showed 0 miles when I put it in service. The owner is unlikely to allow you to take the ECM out of the coach and have a DD dealer read the specifics on it, such as “does the serial number in the ECM match the engine?”

So for both your questions, you should try to establish a second and independent source for knowing the true mileage.

As far as your potential purchase, it’s hard enough to establish a rock solid value for a older high end coach in today’s market, much less establish a value for an extra 100 or 200k miles over what is typical. Our coach has 262k miles, and the engine is not something I worry about. It doesn’t use more than a quart of oil between yearly oil changes at about 15k miles. Oil analysis by Blackstone on this particular engine shows ZERO signs of wear.

Your inspection and a test drive will tell you more about the wear on the interior, and the tightness of the chassis components than any of us internet armchair quarterbacks.

As far as your moral obligation to report the discrepancy to potential buyers. This is my opinion, and only MY opinion. First, without confirmatory independent data, I don’t think you are on solid ground in reporting the issue to the world. Second, if a potential buyer identified an issue to me that I was unaware of, then I would appreciate the opportunity to correct the issue in my advertising. I would have to give the seller the benefit of the doubt if the mileage were confirmed. Third, if the coach is a Newell, and you confirmed the discrepancy, then the gentlemanly way to handle this is to monitor the forum and see if anyone asks for info on the coach. If that happens, then a “PM me” allows you to express your concerns.

Again, you asked for opinions, and this is mine.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
Opinions matter - by Jonestead - 09-24-2022, 12:46 PM
RE: Opinions matter - by SouthernDevGirl - 09-24-2022, 01:05 PM
RE: Opinions matter - by MrE - 09-24-2022, 03:01 PM
RE: Opinions matter - by smagown - 09-24-2022, 04:05 PM
RE: Opinions matter - by SouthernDevGirl - 09-25-2022, 04:01 AM
RE: Opinions matter - by bestgenman - 09-25-2022, 05:10 AM
RE: Opinions matter - by folivier - 09-25-2022, 06:36 AM