You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Trailer Air Brakes

This is my first post to anything on anything but this caught my interest. First of all I am probably the most technically and technologically dysfunctional Newell owner there is. I can follow instructions some of the time if I can remember where I wrote them down. I have owned several Newell coaches and still rely on Creslie and team to keep me on the road.

With that said, this is the second coach I have had with AFI. I remember the red button well as when I was at Newell getting oriented on the coach I was tentative with what I assume is charging the system and was shown to apply force to get it done. Since then I always check to be sure it is shut every time I release the parking brake.

On a recent trip to Texas when I arrived in Houston and went to unhook the Jeep Grand Cherokee I towed I noticed the brake lights were on. When I went to move it and applied the brakes the brake pedal went to the floor. To make a longer story shorter after it was towed to a dealership it was determined all the brakes were shot including pads, calipers and whatever else was included in the $6200 estimate.

They indicated for some reason the system was applying just enough constant pressure to do this damage without me detecting a problem. Before we left we had made sure the car was off and it rolled fine. I also think I checked that the red button was closed.

Have spoken to Newell and had the local RV place who installed it check it out when I had it in to install the works on my new tow car! Am awaiting the Houston dealership who now owns the Jeep to send AFI controller off the Jeep so we can send to Demco so they can help determine what could have happened. Have already checked and there is not any air escaping.

With all that said, another reason to disengage whatever you are doing as I was already wondering its purpose.

Sorry for the lengthy message and if anyone has any thoughts on what may have happened I would be interested in knowing. Thanks

Messages In This Thread
Trailer Air Brakes - by hypoxia - 01-18-2024, 08:33 AM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by CaptainGizmo - 01-18-2024, 10:39 AM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by hypoxia - 01-18-2024, 11:55 AM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by CaptainGizmo - 01-18-2024, 03:41 PM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by hypoxia - 01-18-2024, 04:08 PM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by CaptainGizmo - 01-18-2024, 06:22 PM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by hypoxia - 01-19-2024, 08:50 AM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by hypoxia - 01-19-2024, 04:14 PM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by CaptainGizmo - 01-19-2024, 08:39 PM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by hypoxia - 01-19-2024, 10:26 PM
RE: Trailer Air Brakes - by [email protected] - 01-26-2024, 02:27 PM