You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Foretravel vs Newell air suspension

In trying to copare the Newel suspension to the Foretravel suspension, I have not found any information on the number and placement of the airbags on Newell suspensions. The Foretravel has 8 outboard plus 2 for the tag axle. I'm told that the ride is both soft and very stable. How many bags does the Newell have and how are they positioned? Does anyone have experience with both RVs and would like to express your opinlon? I think I prefer a more stable ride and drive over a  softer, rock and roll ride and drive. How would you describe the ride of the Newell?

Question: "I have not found any information on the number and placement of the airbags on Newell suspensions."

Answer: If depends on the year. In the early 1990's Newell used a suspension with 12 airbags, 4 on each of the 3 axles (obviously the few non-tag coaches only had 8 airbags). These coaches used a Ridewell suspension with a solid front axle. During the 1996 model year, Newell began the conversion of the front suspension to an Independent Front Suspension but, to the best of my knowledge, retained the same Ridewell rear and tag suspensions. The IFS front suspensions use 2 air bags per axle. During the 2004 model year, Newell changed to ZF Suspension including Independent Front Suspension, wide base drive axle and active steerable tag axles. The ZF suspension has 2 air bags per axle.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

My 99 has two in front, 4 on drive axle and two on the tags.  They much larger than the same year Foretravel.  My front bags are about the size of basketballs. I have owned both Foretravel and Newell and as far as ride is concerned one cannot find a better driving and riding coach than Newell.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Anyone know when the change to 2 airbags on the tag axle occurred? 4 bags were used on the tag axle in 1995 and early 1996 to the best of my knowledge and obviously they changed prior to #505.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks for the information. Very much on point. I also am wondering what the air bag life expectancy is and how costly replacement is. I'm probably looking at an RV that is about 15 years old to be in my price range. Thanks for your help.

My coach is a 1992 and I have changed out the 4 front airbags but not the 8 rear ones yet.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(09-29-2016, 01:03 PM)Grandpa Wrote:  Thanks for the information. Very much on point. I also am wondering what the air bag life expectancy is and how costly replacement is. I'm probably looking at an RV that is about 15 years old to be in my price range. Thanks for your help.

Last year my two front bags replacement were around $650.00. They had to pull the front wheels  to do it.  The tag bags were less.  The bags are smaller and they were done without pulling the tag wheels.  It seems that someone said that Foretravel bags were about $200.00 each.  I would say 14 to 16 years are the life  of bags and I am just guessing.  I have owned  my coach for over 3 years and do not know weather or not they were changed before I owned it.   I have looked at several 03 Foretravel's and it looks like they needed changing. They looked to me that they had small age cracks in them, but they might go another several years.  Best the change them because if they blow you will be on the side of road. I still have 4 bags that have not been changed. Newell has looked at them and said they look fine.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

(09-29-2016, 12:27 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Anyone know when the change to 2 airbags on the tag axle occurred? 4 bags were used on the tag axle in 1995 and early 1996 to the best of my knowledge and obviously they changed prior to #505.

I just change all of mine on 390.There were only two on the tag.

1995 # 390

Two bags on tag, might have something with eng/trans weight? I have series 60 with 740

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

NOT meaning to bash Newell but I have owned three Foretravels and can definitely say that the 2000 42' FT handled and drove WAY better than my current 98 Newell. It truly felt like a giant sports car whereas my Newell wanders and is hard to keep on the road at times. Maybe I'm just getting older and maybe I need some front end help... The guy at the oil shop said the front end looked like it needed some work on tie rods or something... I'm planning to have that looked at if I can ever find a shop nearby to work on it... (Flame suit on)...
ON THE OTHER HAND, I would never own anything but a steel or aluminum coach ever again. I don't like fiberglass and all the delam problems that come with it. I do understand how much heavier the Newells are and this is ONLY my opinion, which is free, so you get what you pay for :-)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40