You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air leaks

I have a air leak or several air leaks that I have not found. On the dash there are two air gauges. One has two needles, a white and a red which stays at about 100-110 pounds and the next to it is another gauge that will lose about 8-10 pounds an hour. The 120 volt comp. will come on at about 75 pounds and cut off at 95 pounds. The comp. will cycle about every 2 to 21/2 hours. I have the Inficon ultrasonic detector. This thing want pick up a thing. I can hear a air leak before it will get to the first light, and I wear hearing aids. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can blow into it fairly hard before the first light comes on. Back to the leaks I have. I know air leaks are an on going thing but is 8-10 pounds an hour excessive? I have also used soapy water with no luck. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Newell has always told me that compressor cycling every 45 min to 1 hr is acceptable & within spec. Although we had them chase down leaks on one visit & got compressor cycling to once every 4 hrs. Now it's back to running +/- 2 1/2 minutes every 45 - an hr.

Your leak could be anywhere I would advise spraying the airbags themselves with soapy water if they have never been changed they are probably your source of air loss

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

I'm with Tuga! My compressor ran about every 45 minutes. I wanted to replace my airbags and Newell resisted saying that they only needed it after 15 years. I insisted and they finally agreed to replace my rear airbags. My compressor slowed down a lot. Then after more badgering, they finally agreed to do my front ones. Since then, my compressor only runs about every two hours. (And I know of one pretty good leak that needs to be fixed).

So moral of story is check the airbags. (But don't do it without blocking the frame of the bus! Safety first!)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks, I will check the airbags. What brought this on in the first place was last week I had a major leak. The comp. would cut on about every 30 seconds. It was bad enough that I could hear it. With the help from a Gurus friend it was coming from the solenoid that goes to the passenger side dump valve. I've never used it and probable never will, so I installed a cut off valve in the air line. One of these days I will replace the solenoid. So since then I have been checking the gauge more often than I have in the past. I will check the air bags because I'm sure they have never been replaced. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I found good size air leak at the Brake /Accelerator pedals they are air supported and one of the hoses was leaking non stop ! alos another spot I found was around the compressor one brass coupling was leaking bad! after fixing it both spots we are now :
from 45min to over 2 hrs

Best,
Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

wonder why Newell would be against what a customer wants?- cash talks in my world. If you want flooring on the ceiling- I'm there

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Chappell

My infinicon is only useful with headphones or earbuds. Depending on the lights to show a leak doesn't work for me. Air leaks are the common bane for all Newell owners. I suggest you search on air leaks on this forum and other Newell forums to see what others have learned.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

agree with richard. i thought it was useless still i started using earbuds. for me they work better than headphones

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Wander if headphones will work with hearing aids? I wear behind the ear hearing aids. Can't hear a thing without them. Guess I could get my wife to help me out here. Will give it a try. Thanks Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot