You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Basement door opened while driving

Basement door came open while driving on rough road. It was the door for the fuel tank. When this happens it sticks out about 2 feet. Not much fun on a busy 4 lane road. I did get it to the side of the road before anyone hit it. The frame was sprung and the door wouldn't latch back. So I used the RV'ers best fixit aid "Duck tape" I only needed to go about 10 miles to my son's house. The major problem is the outside skin is coming off, it appears it is put on with doubled face tape. Has anyone had this problem? What kind of tape do you use, name etc. where do you buy it? Any suggestion will be helpful.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

Hi Bob,
If you could add the year and series number of your coach to your signature that would help us know how your coach was constructed. We then can offer more accurate help.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Bob, I had the same thing happen a couple days ago. Mine was the battery door and thankfully didn't damage the door when it sprung open. The latches were dry so after spraying lube it latched properly and hasn't been a problem since. And we've been on some pretty rough roads. I thought Louisiana's roads were bad? Found quite a few other bad ones on our travels.
Some of my basement door skins are coming loose at the top corners also. I plan to pull off the doors and reglue them this winter using 3M trim tape. I'll post my results later.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

bob, if you send me your info for your signature, i can add it for you if you dont know how

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Forest,
One of my doors was coming loose at the bottom. I secured it with metal screws on each side. There was metal support inside between the outer skin and the inter insulation. It worked well and skin is very tight. And No I did not go through the outer skin. There was plenty of space in between the door to do this. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Forest,
On second thought out problem might not be the same. My door is the one to the left of the entry door and when I close it the bottom of the door sort a flapped like it was not completely closed. I could pull the bottom in and out. Looking at it closer the skin had come loose from the inside part of the door the has the locking mechanism. It was a fairly easy fix. The top of the door was secure. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I think my problem with the door coming open was caused by the skin coming loose and shifting or twist enough around the handle this pulled the small cables that go to the latches, there for the door opened. I have it off now, but it is taking forever to clean off the old black doublesided tape. I've tried a heat gun, but I'm afraid it will burn the paint on the other side. any other ideas.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

Try some paint thinner or other solvent, or Goo Gone and a putty knife.
Did you pull the skin off completely? Mine only have about an 8" section around one corner that is loose. I plan to use a shim to hold the frame up to clean and replace the tape.
I wouldn't get too aggressive with heat.

Just found this, may not have to remove the tape.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebser...Vs6E666666--

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Hi Bob,
google: 3m stripe off wheel

or

3M 03618 Adhesive Remover - 12 oz.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.