You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Zipdee slide topper awnings

If anyone has the Zipdee slide topper awnings be aware of the problems they can cause. When at Newell I extended the rear slide and it jerked about halfway out then went out. The problem was the spring in the awning was dry and bound up. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the end and sprayed Corrosion X. The awning now works smoothly. I sealed the hole with caulk and will plan to lube it yearly.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Talked to them about topper awnings when I was at Newell. Mine coach doesn't have any and looks like it never did. They said they don't put them on any more. Had too many problem and said slides don't need them. I ask them about the pin locking holes at the top of the slides filling up with water and was told there is a 3/16" drain hole that goes from top to bottom. Water will get into them regardless even with topper awnings. Foretravel doesn't use them anymore either. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I noticed an issue with my ZipDee slide topper awning today. Not sure if it happened today, but expect recently if not today. The aluminum end cap broke and now the end cap is slanted (see attached pictures). Has this happened to anyone? I am thinking I should not put the slide back out till it is fixed. I am not in a place where I can fix it now. I am wondering if a hose clamp might pull it back in place and make it usable till I can get to an RV shop to get it fixed. We are planning to leave a week from tomorrow for a trip from Oklahoma back to Florida. I talked to Newell on another issue earlier this week, and Creslie said they were booked till December. I suspect this is something that any reputable RV place could fix. Any suggestions around Miami OK?

My concern is the topper not retracting if I put the slide out then I wont be able to drive till it is fixed or removed.

I read about Newell and Foretravel not using them anymore, and I would consider removing them, but what about sticks and leaves from trees? I don't want to have to pull out the ladder everytime I leave a wooded park. Also, what about when it is raining and you need to close the slide, doesn't water bead on the top and then come into the interior of the coach?

Thanks
Mike

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

One of mine broke similar while they were working on the front slide at Newell. They found a new piece to replace it somewhere in parts.
Make sure that the other end where it attaches to the slide wall didn't pull away. I would think yours broke because the spring needs lubing like mine did.
Zipdee may have parts still available, worth a call.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Mike you do have to worry about leaves and sticks without slide toppers. With toppers leaves and sticks can get under the topper just the same.  The problem is with topper when you put the slide in the leaves do not have any place to go.  Without toppers the brush that is around the slide pushes them off.  Without topper I've found out it is much easier to clean the top of the slide.  When I get home I put the slide out and am able to clean any dirt off the top without any problem.  I often polish the top with Wash and Wax.  I have had both and I like no toppers.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I went to ZipDee website and here is the Parts List for slide topper awnings in PDF. I need part number 8 - HEAD CASTING WITH COTTER PIN

Is this part under spring tension? Can I pull the cotter pin without any issue?

[url=http://nebula.wsimg.com/f0a7e5d58fd47de2f27dade277625eb0?AccessKeyId=C8A729CF410B06765C18&disposition=0&alloworigin=1][/url]

(11-03-2016, 06:20 PM)qcj Wrote:  Mike you do have to worry about leaves and sticks without slide toppers. With toppers leaves and sticks can get under the topper just the same.  The problem is with topper when you put the slide in the leaves do not have any place to go.  Without toppers the brush that is around the slide pushes them off.  Without topper I've found out it is much easier to clean the top of the slide.  When I get home I put the slide out and am able to clean any dirt off the top without any problem.  I often polish the top with Wash and Wax.  I have had both and I like no toppers.

You don't worry that a stick will punch a hole in the air seal? I noticed you said you cleaned once at home and not before each time you pulled the slide in...

What about when it is raining?

Attached Files
.pdf ZipDee awning parts list.pdf Size: 13.88 MB  Downloads: 2

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

The spring end should be the end with the ZipDee tag, typically the end toward the rear of the coach on the passenger's side and the end toward the front end on the driver's side.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Mike,

I broke the same piece while traveling. It can easily happen if the awning latch is not released before deploying the slide, or at least that is how mine broke.

I did cobble together a fix with hose clamps and an additional screw. Just make sure any protrusions won't hit the slide or the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

From looking at your photos, I suspect it is the spring end that broke and the spring may be unwound. If it is the spring end, be very careful if it is not unwound since it can hurt you. I would get the part from ZipDee and get a professional to install it. I still have the arms that I removed when I converted mine to electric, but the problem is they are here in Mexico.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I called ZipDee today. It is the non-spring side and can be replaced for $17 + shipping. Unfortunately, I can't get it shipped and arrive by the time I depart Oklahoma next week, so will try to cobble together a fix this weekend, and call around local dealers, maybe they have the part.

Richard, you may be right about the latch not being released causing it to break. The previous owner put the slides in and out without ever unlatching the awnings, so I suspect they were always unlatched. I had a detailer buffing the side of the coach yesterday, and he asked me to pull the slides in, then told me he thought it broke when I pulled the slide in. Thus, I wonder if he somehow latched the awning causing it to break? Or does it only break outgoing?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn