You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Starting problems

On the maiden short trip with my better half, (very important), we took a 100 mile trip. We stopped for lunch and when we attempted to start the newly acquired 2000 #551, no luck. Just "click, click". After contemplating wreckers, taxis, or hitchhiking, I called the Newell number. After a while, Jim called me back and told me of the wonderful start switch near the batteries. Bingo!

Today I added water to the engine batteries, load checked them, (showed 12.3 V and moved to the green area on load), then checked the alternator by comparing battery voltage before and after starting, (12.3V then 13.5V).

Jim said he suspected problems with the solenoid and switches between the ignition and the starter. Not sure how this is done. Also, thinking of removing all connections, cleaning, and replacing.

Key to me is it starts right off when using the aft switch, but not always the ignition, especially after a road trip. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Larson

I think youre on the right track, Bill. Remove and clean large cables...Especially those to starter motor. Replace starter solenoid. Check connections at Ignition switch.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Isn't the steering column and switch a GM truck product?
If it's working at the rear switch but not the front then I'd start looking at the ignition switch.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Yes that is a gm switch , I had mine replaced on 507 in Florida last year it's like 20$ part..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701