You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cleaning up a battery bay

When my coach comes out of storage next spring I will need to replace my batteries. I think this will be a good time to clean those bays up as they look to have 29 years of dust, dirt and corrosion in them. I assume I will need to scrap and sand them down as well as treat the inside of them to prevent any further corrosion.

Has anyone done this before that could share their suggestions for what to look for and how best to go about this chore?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Todd,
Sounds like you have the right idea. When I replace my batteries, I scrape & sand the loose stuff. I neutralize the entire bay with lots of baking soda & water. Repaint with a good quality oil based paint--I use Rustoleum from Wal*Mart.

The key is to perform monthly inspections of the battery bay where I wipe clean the batteries tops with baking soda & water, top off the battery water & address any paint touch up when needed(normally not needed).

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I just replaced all 6 of my AGMs with new AHMs. I did do a bit of scraping and vacuuming. Those things are heavy.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Change out the plywood floor if needed. I like to treat any wood that might get wet with CPES from rotdoctor.com
If you have a battery tray that slides out check the bolts that hold it to the floor. I had one on my joey bed break and changed the others too since they were rusted bad.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Todd,

Prior to painting, smear Ospho, brand name for a dilute solution of phosphoric acid, all over everywhere. When dry the surface is primed and ready for the paint of your choice. Worked great for me for years.

Phosphoric acid on ferrius oxide yields ferrius phosphate, an inert salt. Therefore no molecules of oxidation to paint over. Ospho or equivalent is available at box stores and hardware stores.

I have also seen but have no experience with a product called Rust Guy. Ads on RFD TV for farmers and ranchers. They claim it is the end-all for farm equipment.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Excellent tips. Thanks guys. All of the batteries are on Joey beds. I assume they work as each time the coach was in they were always checked. Knock on would now that it is not in the shop all of the time as it was the first year this battery maintenance will now be my chore.

The batteries I have are 2 8D's for the house as well as 2 8d's for the chassis. They are wet cell batteries that can be replaced for about $230 each at Interstate. Can you guys tell me what you think about using the same types again or what other choices I should consider? Isn't there a gel type that is less maintenance?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

try samsclub for batteries. that is where i buy the non agm batteries.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Todd,
In August I bought two Deka 8D AGM batteries from a local shop for $485.00/pc. I clean, rust convert and paint my battery trays as outlined above. Recently I have been using products from Eastwood.
Before I set the battery in I spray the tray with Fluid Film.
http://www.fluid-film.com/products/
I repainted my Imperial car hauler this summer and then coated the whole bottom side with Fluid Film. I bought it from these folks:
http://www.kellsportproducts.com/?gclid=...QgodeRIAKw
They are very customer friendly.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Agree with Rudy, great product, just put it in a spray bottle and spray all rust areas.    

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Finally got to this project this weekend. Took the old batteries to Interstate and bought two new ones. Scraped a bunch then used the Ace Hardware version of OSPHO. Painted everything up and then put the new batteries in. Looks great. 30 years of grime in there.

Speaking of that last summer I had a bay door the hinge was shot on and it would not close all of the way. The hinge just grinded on 30 years of dirt in it. Clarke and Tom spent a day and swapped it out. Today I was about to order another hinge for a bay door that also crunched and hit on the bottom and would not close. The I started to think maybe I should try and blast the crud out of the hinge and get it to work and see if that somehow fix things. So I drilled the rivets out to take the door off and then blasted the hinge from every angle until it ran smooth and had the full range of motion. WD40'd it and then rehung it and tada! Works like a champ. No new hinge. I have a couple more I will try this on. There is so much dirt in the hinges it actually displaces the hinges and then the doors don't close well. Easy fix. What's that you always say Tom think simple first?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia