You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacement converter/charger

I'm going through some maintenance items before winter storage (running behind schedule as usual).
I have a couple of electrical questions:
I have one dead and one weak battery to replace.
The alternator is fried, I think caused by the dead battery and age (original). It's not rebuildable.
#1:
I have two 8d's for starting and two 8d coach batteries I see a few posts in other forums recommending replacing 8d's with 3 group 31's. Pros/cons of replacing the start batteries with two new 8d's and the coach with 6 deep cycle group 31's. Will different batteries charge ok when the engine is running and when plugged in or should I just keep all 8d's? I have had very good luck with Interstate group 31's in my previous camper and boats and can get them from my local store for a very good price ($30).

#2:
The converter / charger appears to be original, it only charges at 11.5 volts (per meter and nameplate data), this seems pretty low to charge or even maintain them.
I'm considering a Progressive Dynamics 70 amp converter with the charge wizard, I'm hoping this will provide more life and better performance for the new batteries, is it worth doing?

Thanks

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Hey Scott.....you're coach is just one year newer than mine.....I replaced my "battery boiler" with a Progressive Dynamics 70 amp multi stage charger 5 years ago, and I love it......haven't lost a battery prematurely since then. As for the batteries I would stay with the 2 8D's for starting. On the house batteries......are group 31 batteries 6 volt? If so, remember they must be wired together differently than 12 volt batteries to be sure as a group they put out 12 volts. All your batteries should be charged by either the charger, when plugged in, or by the alternator while under way. Some say you have to engage the "merge" switch, but I have always left my merge switch in the "off" position.....have never had a battery go dead. I think on the newer coaches you must engage the merge switch one way, or the other for all batteries to be charged at the same time, and I am not sure if by 1983 they had changed their wiring scheme.

By the way, what engine do you have in your coach? Detroit Diesel?

Good luck!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks for the feedback on the charger.
The group 31's are 12v, about 120 amp hour deep cycle, not starting batteries so I would not use them for starting. I think 6 of these would have more long term power available than two 8d's.

I have a Cummins 903 cubic inch v-8, it is sometimes called the vt-903, the nameplate says vt-300, I think this was the base hp rating, according to the plate mine is rated at 320 hp. It seemed to have plenty of power on the drive home and egt was fine, although it was only pushing about 5-6 lbs of boost. I found a hole in a hose on the pressure side of the turbo, can't wait to take a drive now that it's fixed.Big Grin

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
"Any other Way"

How many amp hours is each group 31 battery rated at?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I hooked up the Progressive Dynamics 80 amp converter tonight, should be an improvement.
Group 31's are around 120 amp hr each, I think.
I'll test all the batteries Tuesday night after they've had a proper charge.

1983 38' Classic #007
"Any other Way"