You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell v wanderlodge maintenance?

Hello all,
Wife and I are looking to full time in the next 2-3 years, and will do it in either a Wanderlodge or Newell, with our focus on the Wanderlodge.

Do any of you have an opinion on whether a wanderlodge or newell offers less expensive maintenance costs? Assume that we will do much of the easier maintenance.

I know that this is a tough question and depends on the condition of the specific bus, but are they any clear advantages to either coach?

We would be looking for a 89-95 year coach.

Thanks for the forum and for your thoughts!

Newell is still producing coaches and having Newell 24/7 service is probably the biggest advantages. When something breaks in the boonies who do you call for advice and parts? Also Newell has provided me with detailed info that has allowed me to do a lot of maintenance that years ago I would have taken to a shop.

When I had my Country Coach I used a tour bus company in Branson. Their hourly rate is higher than what Newell charges and one of the first things they did was call Country Coach for construction info. Therefore I feel that Newell completes a task quicker and cheaper than they would. Most of the service employees at Newell have worked at Newell a long time and are very familiar with how the older coaches were built.

Good luck in your decision...........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The overall maintenance will be the same for either. Similar chassis, similar accoutrements, thus similar maintenance costs. The Newell has the advantage of the factory being a viable option, whereas the Wanderlodge has a VERY tight series of owner groups, who have managed to source most everything needed. They're also very good about supporting you as an owner. Is it as good as the factory? I don't know, but I know that I can get any bit of info I've wanted over the last 4 years from the group. Are you planning on staying in the Miami, Ok area or at least passing through routinely? The Newell factory would be a plus, then. If not, then it's a mute point.

Will you be doing the work, or paying to have it done? If you're doing it, but which ever coach you find you like. If you're paying to have it done, buy the oldest one (that's in great shape and well maintained) you can find. Less technology to maintain!

Good luck in your search. You can't really go wrong with either, if you do due diligence in your selection.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

If Phoenix is at all convienent to you, I'd look at the '89 coach on Craigslist. If you look at the Coaches For Sale Thread you'll see I posted about it yesterday. I have no affiliation with the seller, just trying to pass on information.
Tim

agree with both of them. both are very similar. keep in mind these babies are not cheap to keep going. it does help to do what you can yourself, but repairs can be pricey.

i love both the newells and wanderlodges. like was said, the owners network on the wanderlodges is incredible. there were a lot fewer newells made so our owners network is less, but very helpful as well. you need to spend sometime actually going to see some of both to get a feeling. they are quite different feeling inside. just different style

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Good point, Tom. The Newell owners, though much fewer in numbers are certainly as passionate about the coaches. Both brands have many multicoach owners. It's tough to go wrong with either, but it's very easy to spend a whole bunch of money on either!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

agreed on the money part as well.....ha

tom

Wanderlodge although not in business the records are owned and supported 24/7 by Parliament Coach in Clearwater fl. Also a certified bluebird technician Jonney Anderson offers a 24/7 customer support as well. So their is support. All that being said having Newell available with parts on hand has value, especially when you are stuck and need help.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

The other question you might want to address/think about before you commit to one or the other:

How do I get out?

When you are ready to sell, since WB's are no longer produced, will the buyer of your coach be comfortable with the ability to get answers from WB forums regarding maintenace issues or if he breaks down somewhere? Can he source parts easily? Will there be competent mechanical help available who understand/work on WB's if he cannot do the work himself ?

Will the Newell 24/7 hotline/network/forums be of any advantage to you the seller in dispelling concerns a new owner might have as far as owning/maintaining the coach or is it a push with WB forums etc. ?

Your decision obviously

i looked for a long time at wanderlodges and even made a few offers on a couple of them. i would have been happy with either. the biggest benefit to me has not been anything to do with the mechanics or layout of the coach. it has been the wonderful new friends i have made. what is nice is the wanderlodge gang is similar to ours.

tom