You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Storage building

I am in the process of buying the 2 acres next to me and building a storage building with some living quarters in it for my Gardner/father in lawSmile I could really use some advice on size, options and must have ,have nots.. I'm considering 60x100 with the 60 side facing the street and the first 20 of the 100 feet length building living quarters. I'm thinking four 12 foot wide 15 foot high doors per side to create 4 "bays" I'd like to be able to park the coach and pull thru from both sides so I don't have to back in. I also want to be able to park a stacker trailer and my boat in another bay and the third bay for toys and yard equipment.. The 4 th bay I guess we can call future growth.lol

In the Newell bay I'll have power and dump station along with water plus I'll put in an overhead washer hose that can go all the way around the coach from the ceiling. I currently have a double slide but want to have room for a quad with the slides open.

Should I make it a free standing or have poles and divide it up. I'll insulte the whole thing and install some over head heaters.. Not real concerned on the ac part.

So comments and if anyone has some pricing experience it would be appreciated.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

A must have if I was building would be a full length pit.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

How wide and long would you suggest

Marc Newman

i am doing 14's doors on mine. 12' is a little too tight for me.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Marc,
Using the specs from others who have an indoor pit I would make it long enough so the steps get you out from under the coach and 3 feet wide and 4 feet deep. If you make it too deep you'll have to work off a ladder. Then plumb in air & lights and your set.

Wider the better on the doors. I cringe every time at Newell and they shoehorn the coach mirrors in their bays. Mine are 22', not that you need it that wide.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I'd opt for the "pole-less" design. Much more freedom to work inside that way. Probably more expensive, but you only have to pay for it once and you have to work in it for years to come.

I don't really have an issue with 12' doors. I have to come into (and back out of) mine at almost a 30 degree angle from the street and have yet to really have an issue with the door width. If you're able to come essentially straight in, a 12' door is more than enough for me.

How much work under the coach do you plan on doing? One I know of did essentially a deep dip where the rear of the coach is parked. It allows for easy access under the motor, without having the issues of an open pit. How often do you foresee needing to be under the very center of your coach? Is most of the underneath work done at the ends? To do brakes and such, a pot doesn't help much (but other than a jack, nothing else does either). I'm not trying to talk you out of a pit by any means, just asking questions. I can get to all the back end stuff with mine aired down and no pit. Having a pit would make some stuff a little easier, but I'll have to investigate the costs when I build the next building.

I like the 60x100 size. My current is 60x40 and I could easily use most of the rest of the space you're thinking about.

Sounds neat so far!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I probably will do very little work my self on it so while a pit might be neat I'm not sure I'd use it.. Does anyone have a cost idea on a square foot basis I may be looking at?

Marc Newman

are you planning on a stick built or metal building?

tom

Mine was roughly $17.50/ft2, as an erected, insulated custom truss building. This did not factor in the cost of the concrete driveway to get to it, but did figure the 200A service I put in. Of course, location is everything for costs, so ymwv (your mileage will vary).

06 M450LXi 3 slide

how long ago was that? how high were the sidewalls and what peak pitch? did that include the concrete inside?