You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Teddy Heater Intermittent

The teddy heater under the sofa runs very intermittently, maybe 1 in 100 heating cycles. Seems like it must be a loose electrical connection but I do not see any. Do the wires to this feed from the back of the unit? Has anyone had a similar issue?

Steve and Ardys
2006 Newell #783

i am assumming you mean the aquahot duct under the couch. that plenum you are calling a teddy is just a box with a squirrel cage fan and a mini radiator. i have had mine out and replaced the fan motor. it is not hard, just work.

the other aquahot zones in mine are min radiators with small whisper fans like on a computer power supply.

if those come on in the zone the "teddy" heater is on, then it is something to do with the connection.

a common thing for just the teddy heater circuit to not work is the "high/low" rocker switch on the wall (most have them). often the blade connection gets loose and that could be what you describe.

simple thing to do would be to get a voltmeter, turn the systme on and check the voltage at the fan itself. then you can narrow down the issue

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

This is from an earlier post:
Well I was still having an intermittent problem with the front heater not coming on every time. When I would touch the relay on the aquahot it would start. So after reading Steve Magown's post where he had a bad relay socket I looked at mine and it looked discolored so I went ahead and changed all 3. Easy to change out, just pull the release and they pop off the DIN rail. Then snap on the new sockets and wire it up.
But it still didn't work! So stuck my head back in the compartment, wiggled the relay and it started up. Finally figured out that one of the wires from the mini-relay 30amp (small black cube on the side near the terminal block) was loose. Pulled it off and tightened the connector. Now it works every time!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I have voltage at the switch, and voltage to both the high and low side of the switch. There is heat to the unit so the relay must be turning on the circulation pump. Next to check for bad ground or loose connection at the fan. Does anyone know if there is a limit switch (AKA Snap Disk) inside the unit? I had to replace one of those on my Bluebird's system, so I will check that as well. We might wait to get home in May before going any farther. Looks like the only way to access the unit is to take out the sofa.

Steve and Ardys
2006 Newell #783

Before you go any further with the fan check out the relay I posted above. Here is a picture of it. It's a small black cube just above and to the rear of the terminal board.
It is black with a few wires on the bottom side of it. On mine one of the wires was loose. I tightened the connector with pliers and it has worked since.
I also thought it was the blower itself which can be a bear to get to so was happy to find out the problem was a loose connection.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I found two relays riveted to the top of the AquaHot. Picture attached. Are these the one's that you are referring to? All the connections seem to be in good condition and tight. Seems odd to put these here instead of on the side of the unit where the heat is lower.

Steve and Ardys
2006 Newell #783

That looks like them. My 98 only has 1 and it is on the side.
OK, if that's good then next question: does the heater blower under the kitchen cabinet come on at the same time the one under the sofa comes on? They should since they are controlled by the same plug-in relay.
Also in post #4 you said there was voltage at the switch. Make sure the wires are well crimped. On mine one of the wires just pulled out of the crimp connector.
This post has lots of info that may help: http://newellgurus.com/Thread-Aquahot-pl...ower-motor

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Yes when the one under the sofa does starts it is with the one under the sink cabinet in the kitchen. One additional item that leads me to look for a loose connection, yesterday while watching my Packers loose I got slightly disgusted and gave the end of the sofa a good kick. The fan came on, but went off with the one under the sink.

Thanks for the link I will read the post to see what I can learn. Looks like the heating units are different. Mine is smaller, made by Aurora, a German Company. It can only be removed from the top by removing the sofa.

I will let you know what I find.

Steve and Ardys
2006 Newell #783

GOT IT!!!!!!!! The plastic connector plugs at the rear of the unit were not fully seated together. Squeezed them together and it is running. Both high and low speed work. Thanks for the advice.

Steve and Ardys
2006 Newell #783

Awesome!
I've found lots of times it ends up being something that came loose. Not hard to do when your house is rolling down the highway.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337