You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Home front suspension wheel bearing recall

I have a question about 1999 and 2000 Newells that owners of these years can help me with.
I have looked at several units that have a good price point but I am avoiding because of the wheel bearing recall for 1999 and 2000 models = is this recall valid?
Is the bearing issue something that has to be addressed every 7500 miles by those that now own these two years?
Thanks for any help.

Refer to:
Date of Manufacturing: From Nov. 1, 1999 to Oct. 15, 2000
Units Affected: 55
Dealers will install a revised tag axle suspension arrangement to correct this problem. Also, at intervals of 7,500 miles, owners are requested to arrange to have the tag axle wheel bearings replaced at a dealership or call Newell to issue authorization to have these bearings changed in a service facility in the field at Newell's expense.

John,
A big guru welcome to the forum! I own a '99 model, but it was completed before Nov of 1999. I have never heard of this particular recall. There were only 7 '99 models produced after mine, then the 2000s start. The only maintenance I do to the front & tag wheel bearings is change the oil every 30,000 miles.

My check of recalls only shows a tire and a steering lever recall for 1999 & 2000. Could you please post a link to the source of the wheel bearing recall?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Found the information. Wheel bearing issue was the result of an overloaded hub. Sounds like this is when Newell changed to the new tag axle design in 2000. If you want to read the recall, here is the link.

http://www.faqs.org/car/newell-motor-home-2000/

John,
If you become interested in a Newell, get the coach number from the owner and call Newell service. They will be able to tell you if the recall work has been done. Prior to buying my coach I checked with Newell service & both recalls on my coach had been done.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve & Suzy Bare

Thanks for the information and suggestion. I will use Newell supports advice on a given units recall status. It’s great that they have such detailed records

Newell's 24/7 support gives an owner peace of mind that no other builder offers. I often tell people the support is worth what I paid for my coach--so the coach was free.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

My 99 was started in Feb. of 98 according to the face plate on the wall beside the drivers seat. I do Maintenance on my front and tag bearings the same as Steve. Matter of fact did them yesterday. Oil seemed to be in very good condition. One or both of my tags have been worked on because the oil hubs are different, but that could mean that only the hub had been replaced. The fronts are the same. When I was at Newell, John and I went through the maintenance records and there was nothing disturbing to be found.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

On a side note, if any of you are in the Miami area and would like to go over your coach service records, I will be glad to assist. We can't release the records to you for privacy reasons, such as unlisted phone numbers, home addresses, credit card notes etc., but we can do a page by page review of all the work performed.

John Clark

This is what makes having Newell service behind you worth so much. Hope to see you and your wife at this years rally

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531