You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wroughtn as in working iron, well metal

We have made a commitment to purchase a 1986 non-tag axle Detroit powered wide body Newell. It is a two owner, first one until 98 and the second has owned it since then. Second owner's wife passed away last year and he is now selling just as we are looking around for a motor home to replace our fifth wheeling adventures.

We have a kazillion questions. My wife is concerned about the age while I'm totally zonkers on getting Newell quality at a price we can stretch our budget around.

My wife is retired from telephony, isn't everyone? I'm a self employed inventor/welder/artist/humanitarian. The humanitarian thing is the biggest thing for awhile now, invented ubuntublox, check it out on Youtube or Google it, with your seat belt firmly in place of course.

We are not sure if we will end up full timing, a dream right now, but we do want to spend a bunch of time on the road. I have to be doing things, golf is fun but not near as much fun as making something that no one has ever made before. So one of the early projects on the coach will be the one of a kind rear bumper. It will be the work bench for making stuff any place we park. I called Newell and they said the 12.5 kv generator puts out 240 volts which means my Lincoln inverter tig machine will work. I love the idea of coming up with a neat whatever and being able to pick up some aluminum and make it on the spot.

Keep your fingers crossed for us getting the Newell and don't be offended if a question comes out of nowhere about how you handled that on your Newell or why you did that etc.

We are excited.

Harvey and Glenda Lacey
Wylie Texas
Doser the weenie dawg and his cat Chewie

Ubuntublox.com
harveylacey.com

Did I mention the rear window?

Yeah, the coach has a rear window because the original owner didn't want anyone to think he was driving a bus........

Welcome and hope the sale works out. Where is the coach located? If it's near someone it's always a good idea to have someone look it over for you. They are complicated beasts and it's easy to overlook something.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Welcome to the group. Take a look at our Guru gathering in June ... Everyone here will greatly appreciate more handy people to exchange with ...... Best of luck with your purchase.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Welcome Harvey and Glenda. Glad to have you with us. I think you will be amazed at the build quality of the classic Newell. We have several classic owners here that have a lot of hands on experience with their coaches.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The 12.5kw generator is likely very similar to the Kohler I have in my coach. It is a workhorse. Mine has over 3800 hours on it and runs strong. The best thing you can do for a generator is to run it under a heavy load at least once a month for about an hour. We run ours almost all of the time that the engine is running, especially in the summer so we can run the a/c units. A rarely used generator would concern me more than one that was used frequently. Newell's John Clark discussed that issue at the rally in Spearfish last summer.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Harvey & Glenda,
A big Guru welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask any questions you have. Every one here was new to Newells at one time, and in my case just a few years ago.

Could have used you and your tig welder a few days ago when I was looking for some one to weld up an aluminum bracket.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531