You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Driving & Handling comparisons between generations of Newells

i would be interested in hearing the experiences any of you have had in driving and riding in the different generations of newells.

the 70's classic to the 80's classic to the new 2000 body style in 1990 to the change to the series 60 in 94/95 to ones with slides starting in 97.

then once the steerable tag entered in and the newer body styles after that.

for me, i have driven my 90 and my 2002. the differences are subtle but they are different. they both ride very nice. the 2002 seems to have a little better braking, though hard to tell. the steering wheel is smaller on the 2002 (i really like that big wheel on my 90). the 2002 is a little stronger off the line (if i was drag racing).

bottom line, they both ride and drive very nice, just different. though a little hard to describe how different.

definitely, the turning radius is ALOT worse on the 2002. no surprise given 45'8" compared to 38' no tag on the 90. so backing into my driveway is quite a bit easier with the 90.

i would be interested in your different experiences in driving different vintages.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, I have not driven any of the 'Classic' Newells but have driven your 1990, a 1991, my 1992, a 1996 and your 2002. The three early 90's all drove similarly except the easier cornering with your 38'. The 1996 had the Series 60 so the Jake Brake was stronger, the acceleration was better and the steering was tighter. Your '02 is by far the best combination of smooth ride and responsive handling although the extra length (3' longer than any of the others) does make close quarters drills a bit of a problem. Having watched the drivers at Newell pull coaches into the service bays, the newer coaches with the steerable tags turn significantly sharper than the others. They typically have to back up once if they are coming into the bays on the side next to the assembly line except in the coaches with steerable tags. Those are able to get in first time every time.

The 6 speed transmissions are an improvement over the early '90's 4 speed Allisons. They give more gears to choose from on hills to keep your head of steam better.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have only driven one Newell, my 1982, and from the first day I drove it until today, I love driving it. The steering is true....no play, and if I let go of the wheel it tracks straight. The 5 speed Allison shifts smoothly at 15mph, 25mph, 35mph, 45mph and 55mph right on the dot. There is not a better feeling in the world than setting the cruise control on 58mph, and just hanging on to the steering wheel and enjoying the drive.....of course, if there is some 50's music playing in the background I'm singing along, and Elaine is grimacing.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Comparing my 1978 Classic 35' 96" with my 1993 102"...The 93 is smoother ,quieter, better acceleration, much harder to maneuver. The '78 had leaf springs on the front..A bit rougher and more suspension noise but it drove very well.