You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Heated Water Hose

Well I purchased one of them new fangled Heated Water Hose for this winter thinking my water issues would be solved this winter, because my heat tape & wrapped hose burned out last year....
Not So! 4` this am and the new hose was frozen solid ... Burned up..
It was the Orange one... Now off to find one of the "New" Blue ones.. supposed to be better... Times like this.. I do miss Arizona Tom!!!!

Jimmy

Jimmy, try put a heat tape on hose then wrapping both hose & heat tape with the foam pipe wraps. Don't forget to wrap the hydrant also!

Yep I did that a couple of times in last few years.. It also failed..seems like they are good for one season no matter what you pay... So I thot the heated hose was a good plan.. I ordered the new improved hose today.. Appears there were some issues with the thermostat ... Until then I'll run off my heated water tank.... If I make it thru this winter... all my future winters will be somewhere warmer... a lot warmer... (:~)

Jimmy

My buddy got one of those heated hoses and used it to keep a spigot from freezing on his little casita that is right next (4') away from the pad the my bus is parked on. During the last cold snap, the hose heated up and then caught fire, then melted the inside PEX tubing that is used for indoor plumbing in his casita. Water everywhere inside and fire outside. Could have been a really, really bad deal if the casita had caught fire. Would have burned down the Baxtermobile for sure.

Be careful.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Hey bill how is it your coach has a cat engine.. Was that an option back then?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

My coach was built by a NASCAR team (Bill Davis Racing). He was a Cat rep so he spec'd a Caterpillar engine. They had to make special plates and such to route the serpentine belt. Apparently everyone was so thrilled with the engine that the started offering it as an option.

My engine is a C-12 rated at 505HP (I forget torque number). The C-12 was used in lots of marine applications and in installed in a few Newells. Soon after the 2003 model year, Newell started using the C-15s.

For me the engine has been completely bullet proof. It gives plenty of power and delivers around 7.4 Miles per gallon economy.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

To the best of my knowledge, Bill's coach (#653) is the first Newell built with the C-12. #714, a 2004 also had the 505 HP C-12 engine in it. By 2005, coach 723 had a 525 HP C-13 and #728 was built with the 550 HP C-15. From the late model 2005's through early 2011 models, Caterpillar, primarily the C-15, was the predominate engine used by Newell. During the 2006 model year, Caterpillar became the standard engine for Newell. Coach 1401, a 2010 had the Cummins ISX 650 and by coach 1415, Newell was using the Cummins ISX as they ran out of Caterpillar engines.

The diesel engines available for use in over-the-road vehicles underwent significant changes during the 2000's as stricter Federal emission standards became effective for model year 2004 and still stricter standards for model year 2007. In 2008, Caterpillar announced that they were going to withdraw from the over-the-road market partially as a result of the EPA emission requirements scheduled to become effective in 2010 (MarketWatch).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,

In case you have not heard it lately....We all love the fact that you are the defacto historian of Newell Coaches. Your talk at the Gurus rally was certainly one of the high points. Knowing that there is a body of knowledge about these coaches (and knowing that there are are experts in Miami, OK) makes me sleep better at night.

I think it is a fun game to look at a coach and try to figure out what is special about that coach...What technology runs the rooms, which engine does it have, does it have the fancy ceiling treatment, or steerable tag, ...

I know that you would win hands down playing that game!

Thanks again for all that you do!

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thank you everybody that makes sense I had just not seen anything but a DEtroit in anything before 2005.. Glad to hear they have been just as reliable as the Detroit had been..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701