You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Series 60 oil?

Yes, but how tall is it? There is not much height room under there. I use two 5 gal. containers with a spout and still not much room. It would be great to have one container that did it all. Ten gal. of oil in one container would be pretty heavy however, like 60 or 70 pounds.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

The previous owner used Delo Synthetic 5W40, so I continue to use it in both the engine and the generator. In 8,000 miles, I used a quart, so I am pleased with the Synthetic. Walmart sells it for $20 per gallon and it the cheapest I have found anywhere. For the Detroit two cycle engines, Delo 100 40W is specifically designed for those engines. No way would I put 40W in my Detroit 60. I have read that the filters for the 60 Series should not be prefilled because of potential contamination. Oil from the crankcase if filter before being used by the engine and any oil placed in the filter before installation goes to the engine without going first through the filter. Cumins is different.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Detroit Diesel recommends that you don't use synthetic oil in the series 60 engine pre or post EGR

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Chappell,

It's about 7 or 8 inches tall when in the "use" position. It's about 30 inches wide and maybe 48 inches long. If I'm feeling froggy enough from my recent open heart surgery (and remember to), tomorrow I'll get some closer measurements and the part number. My 60 drain is only 12 inches or so when aired down. I do not have room for a 5 gal pail, unless I put her up on ramps. This slides under with a couple inches to spare, even aired down. I can slide around under her without too much issue. At least in the back to almost midway forward. The front drops too much, so I have to use ramps there.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Chester you are correct. Brett Woff at a seminar I attended said the best way to add oil to a dry oil filter if you want it filtered is to take a piece of PVC pipe with the correct threads and screw it in the filter and fill it using the small outside small holes. That way the oil is filtered.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Unless it's been amended the recommendation used to be a straight weight, low ash oil.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Marc, I don't use a 5 gal. pail. There would be no way to get that under the coach. I use a 5 gal. oil pan I bought from the auto parts store. It is about 4" tall and about 20" in dia. You take care of yourself and just go slow after your heart surgery. I had by-pass surgery 10 years ago and I feel great. It takes awhile to get back to normal.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

marc, 40w for the 2 stroke detroits is spot on. for the series 60 it is different

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

ah yes, crossed my series up..

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

My series 60 takes 42 litres for an oil chang. I bought a plastic oil change pan on wheels that holds 55 litres, low profile.
Polytechnic MFG, Prince George BC,RK55-DT, 55l, (250) 561-1550
Polytechmanufacturing.com

Peter Haggins
Courtenay BC
Canada
96 Wanderlodge 42' Mid Door