You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bay Door Adjustment

One of my 93 coach's bay doors isn't tightly closed on the lower leading edge. I can see no obvious adjustment, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I thought I would ask here before I go to the factory. Is there a way to adjust the closing of the doors.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Although I don't have this issue, I was hoping some one would respond. I'll suggest you call Newell and then post their instruction.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

If no one answers by Monday I'll call the factory

Jon Kabbe

On our '87 there are strikers that the latch rod hits. One of those was bent which allowed a lot of slop. They appeared to be aluminum, I was able to bend back in to position without it breaking.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

i agree with marc. on my 90 there was no way to really adjust the doors. if i recall the hinges were riveted on and if a door wouldnt close straight, it was either a tweaked door or that strike plate was bent. it hopefully is just a simple thing by bending that striker plate.

or maybe newell has some better guidance.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Sounds like the same operation on our 84. As I adjusted one of those plates it split in half. I went to the hardware store and found some aluminum the same guage. I simply cut out a piece the correct size of the plate then drilled the mounting holes. From there I just carefully bent it to the shape of the original using another as a guide. Once I was close I screwed it in and then made small bend adjustments in it until the door rods that push against the plate closed the door all of the way. I need to do the rest of my doors this summer including one that the hinge was sprung on. I did that this winter as I took the door off as it went into storage. So just need to rivet back on and adjust it. Then I have new seals for all of the doors since they are all original and some are in tough shape.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I think 77Newell's latches and hinges are different. I haven't chimed in because I've not had to adjust mine. I would go look at it but it's in storage. Can u post a pic Ali?
Also, check that the door molding is not coming loose. That happens on those models. They are held by 2 rivets and 3m trim tape. If the molding is loose it would stick out and look like its not closed tightly.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Jon is the door skin coming unglued from the aluminum frame? I had to reglue a few of the door skins on my '98. The skin is attached with 3m trim tape like HoosierDaddy said and after time the glue comes undone. Newell said to use a good 2 part epoxy.

You could try to adjust the 2 door strikers. That might even out the gap some.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

My doors are all on piano hinges which can be reinstalled with a drill and rivet tool. The overheads can be adjusted on the tension cross bar if you need to line up between doors. You can "Jerrymander" the "strike plate" on the latch doors that are not under tension on mine

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Forest: I was just at the coach and the trim is indeed coming loose and that is most of what I interpreted as out of line. It looks like the loose trim is the double sided tape, which I've also used for many things, coming apart. There is also some misalignment of the door that may, MAY, be able to correct with some adjustment I just noticed that is possible by repositioning the latch pin mounted to the door frame. The pin is massive but I think I see a nut inside the frame it is mounted to that may allow adjustment. I'll know more when I get back there on a warmer day. I live too darn far north these days.

Jon Kabbe