You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Spare parts list

If a person was to make a dream list of spare parts to keep on hand.. What would it be..
Belts , oil, filters, coolant for sure.. Bulbs. From experience I would carry a oil pressure sensor, starter, maybe an alternator but I was told the oil cooled ones are bulletproof. What else?.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

You don't really need to carry an extra alternator. If the alternator quits, just merge your batteries and run the genset and the batteries will stay charged. Then you can get the alternator fixed when it is convenient. The only filter I carry is a fuel filter. I do carry an extra belt and some of all the fluids.

The spare parts list should be what allows you to sleep well at night. Unless you are traveling in remote areas, a lot of stuff is available through local sources. I don't even carry the tools I used to. My tool box is specific to needed or unexpected tasks using experience. Tools can be purchased or borrowed too if needed.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Marc

Belts for sure, fluids as well. Engine parts I carried were items that were replaceable with my skill set road side and what Detroit mechanic recommended which included all sensors low oil, oil pressure, low coolant, coolant temp, a couple of others related to the regen system. The thought was if I were to breakdown in a remote area these parts would keep me from moving. I just had the parts on hand. I think cost was about $600. I also carried slack adjusters, the 4" couplers for the turbo. I did not carry starter, alternator, ect. I also had air line and fittings, valves, ride height valves, some more common air solenoids. I had all oil, fuel filters engine and gen as well as back up for gen. air filter.

On the house side I carried bulbs, all fuses including the 400amp for the inverters, battery switch, water fittings, all filters, wire, wire connectors, lighting control boards, light fixtures, ect.

I did a lot of offshore sport fishing where you had to have the parts to fix it with you. Because of this I tried to carry as much as I could to fix it right away.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

After I bought my 1978 Newell in 1998 I discovered a complete drive shaft in one of the storage bays....Hmmmm. A couple years later I was traveling through Jackson, Michigan one evening when the driveshaft broke as I accelerated from a traffic light....Dead in the water. A kid in a 6 cylinder 1/2 ton Chevy stopped and volunteered to pull the Newell into a parking lot nearby. I think he just wanted to see if he could do it. HE DID! Fortunately I had tools with me and proceeded to change the driveshaft. After that I packed an appropriately sized box-end wrench in the bag with the repaired drive shaft. In the 7 years that I owned that Newell I never needed it but it was good to know it was there.
All I carry now are HWH air solenoids, and extra filters and fluids. That may change as I get more on-the-road experience with the '93 Newell.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I never owned a Newell before, perhaps I will not need all that stuff!

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

My engine only has one belt and it drives the AC compressor and the alternator. So like Steve said start the gen. put it on merge, cut on house ACs and keep going. I do carry all fluids and also carry 3 sizes of pex pipes and a clamping tool. I also carry all sizes of hose clamps. I think it is important to carry an extra fuel filter. Also an assortment of tools and fuses along with a volt meter.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Cell phone, broadband internet service, and cash or big credit card.

I found filling my tool box with this works every time, no matter where you are!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Curious as to why I would carry anything that would require me to get under the coach. After reading these posts, it may be a good idea to carry engine sensors that can be replaced without getting under the coach.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Steve, did you just pull that out of your pocket?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot