You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hydraulic cooling fan relay

When I shut her off and even if she didn't go far, the hydraulic cooling fan stays on. If I pull the relay out and put it back it stays off. I tried replacing the relay to no avail. It still does it. Any ideas?

2001 Newell 45'8" Triple slide Coach #588
Series 60 DDEC Allison World 6 speed 4000
2010 Polaris Rzr-S, plated and trailered

I'd look for a temp sensor that triggers the relay.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

this one will be interesting to troubleshoot. i am not close to my coach right now, but i seen to remember there is a temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator on the side near the rear of the coach. i dont remember if it is for the ddec, the fan or maybe both. does anyone know if the ddec puts out that signal to turn it on or not?

i think if i remember right that the relay turns it on for low, but rather it turns it on high when the call for extra cooling comes from some sensor. the way i tested to see if the high speed comes on the fan is to just disconnect the relay when it is running and on low. so i am not sure if that relay has anything to do with the low speed turn on.

i suspect there is 12v to turn the fan on when the engine is on. then the relay kicks it up to high when it gets on mine a little over 200 degrees. that takes it quickly down to below 200.

so i hope this sparks some thoughts on the issue and where that 12v to turn the fan on comes from and if i am all wet or not.

come on brainy ones, lets help him

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I think your right Tom, on my hydraulic fan the 12v slows the fan, disconnect it and it speeds up, I think there is an electric solonoid that opens and closes a valve for the hyd fan, that gets oil pressure via the power steering.
My setup is 1995 but probably similar to this one, I would think this is operated by a temp sensor that is tied in with the ddec but not nessesarily run by it, or may have a separate senser.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

This is over my head but had a similar issue the first day with 701. There is a box that has the hydraulic fluid go through it mounted on the drivers side rear center of the engine . It has 2 solenoids. One of mine was frozen and didn't move and had to be replaced. Newell said when they add ground the solenoid closes restricting fluid and turning off or slowing fan.. If it gets no power the fan runs continually.. Hope that helps.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Thanks, was this the box that you fill the hydraulic fluid into that has a visible line to it? Mine is on the passenger side, so maybe I'm not looking at the correct place, but that sure sounds like the problem.

How do you like your Rzr? I've had mine registered for 3 years and I drive it everywhere and have yet to be stopped. I was in San Francisco the other day riding on the Steve McQueen Bullit route and having a ball. The Rzr is the best. Just put 14" wheels and DOT approved tires on it. My top end is now 85! Not that I've ever gone that fast, but cruising up Rt.1 from Bodega Bay to Ft. Ross is one of the prettiest and most fun rides you'll ever want to take. The road is perfectly banked in places and it's empty, so it's like your own personal go kart track. Have fun!

That is the reservoir.. On the drivers side lower than the engine you will see 2 hydraulic lines one goes into a square box and one comes out goes to fan on the drivers side of this box are the solenoids..

Marc Newman

In this photo,( not my coach) below the alternator and below the coolant overflow reservoir you can see the 2 black hoses connect to a black box that where the solenoid is..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Marc Newman

The fail safe mode for the 12v solenoid is high speed fan. If the solenoid is bad or not powered the fan will,run at max speed. As Tom suggested, an easy way to test the solenoid is to disconnect the plug fitting, and if the fan blows your cap off then the solenoid is ok.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks all, turned out to be a bad relay and one of the guys at Newell said they only last a few years and they need to be replaced. It was weird how it would turn on the fan when the fluid never reached 150, but that's worn out relays for ya I guess. All works well on that front. Now on to Moscow Iowa to see the HWH folks about some other odd occurrences.