You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Battery cranknig amps.

Jim at Newell says the cranking amps for new house/engine batteries should be 1750.
I can get 1750 cranking amps from Interstate Battery for 183.00 each, or 1450, OR 1380 cranking amps from Electro Battery for 160.95 and 134.95 respectively.
Which would you choose?
My current batteries have gone near dead from sitting, I'm just getting service installed to hook up.
Will the old batteries come back to life or should I replace?
Any help?. Huh

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

You will have to charge them & then load test to know for sure. Most battery dealers can do that for you these days.

What kind of Batteries do you have? sounds like you are have and are considering Flooded Lead Acid so here is a suggestion.
1) Check the Fluid Level and if low fill only to the ring with Distilled Water.
2) Bring them up to charge slowly, If you have a Power Inverter/Charger you should be able to use a lower setting.
3) Use a simple Load Tester to check the battery condition ***Be careful to let the Batteries sit for a little while to stop venting before you connect/disconnect any thing or even slide the batteries out. These are available from Harbor Freight for less than $20.00; http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-612...69888.html

If the Batteries did not test you could try the Equalizing Setting on the Power Inverter but not sure I would worry about it with Starting Batteries. If you have a Detroit Diesel I would spend the extra couple of bucks for the Higher Cranking Amps, I did! I am using Napa size 8D.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

One more thing to try. I had a pair of 8D starting batteries in my 77 coach ran completely down when I forgot to switch off the battery switch. It was winter and when I checked the batteries they were frozen with the sides bulging. I brought them home - think heavy duty back strain but boy I did it. I have a Victor automatic battery charger that when I first hooked it up it kept going into the fault mode, but after several tries they started to take a charge. I let the charger do its job for a couple days and then ran several cycles of desulphation and charging. The sides went back to normal and they would hold a charge. Back into the coach with them and they started the coach for four more years with occasional desulphation routines. I suppose I was just lucky since the batteries were already four years old and frozen. If I'm going to be stupid it's nice to be lucky once in awhile.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

What is a desulphation routine?
Where is the best place/price for new batteries that you have found?

1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

Newell has been installing Power Pulses on the batteries for a few years now. I have them on my start lead acid batteries. Supposed to pulse the batteries continuously to prevent sulphation.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

i have had them on both my coaches. do they work? i dunno. are they cheap insurance with thousands of dollars of batteries? yes

enough reputable places use them to make me think they do work.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Shamu,
Here is a link to Power Pulse if you want to learn about the technology.

http://www.pulsetech.net/PP12L-PowerPuls...-7291.aspx

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(04-08-2014, 07:52 PM)Shamu406 Wrote:  What is a desulphation routine?
Where is the best place/price for new batteries that you have found?

The Equalizing Phase of the Power Inverter will perform the Desulphation. Basically the Lead Plates collect a Corrosion Layer that is referred to as Sulfate and if removed extends the life of the Battery. Letting the Batteries get Discharged by non-use would not produce this although I suggested it as a way to maybe extend their life, same process as 77 suggested.
I priced Batteries and warranties and decided on NAPA because they are usually close by to where we travel. I choose a Flooded Lead Acid for the Engine Bank because my Charging System is set up for them. I typically replace them every few years because they are relatively inexpensive for what they do. This type of Battery is designed to typically last 5-7 years although some claim extended life with other devices like the Power Pulse (I bought one but disconnected it because I don't like anything connected when I leave the Coach).

As a side note I attended a seminar on batteries that was put on by Interstate Batteries. He stated that a Flooded Lead Acid Battery can Freeze! and when any Load is put on a Frozen Battery it CAN EXPLODE! I actually had this happen one year and expect that it was from freezing. He did state that AGM Batteries do not suffer from this. 77 was very lucky.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Thanks to all responses, you all are very helpful to a Newbie!