You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Paint Job Contemplation

We are considering whether or not to paint our coach. The paint is faded and is so busy that we are not sure we want to keep it. I have a company looking at it now who has a paint booth big enough to handle it who is calling me today with an estimate.

I am wondering if any of you have had your coaches painted and have tips and or suggestions for us as well as prices so I have something to compare this to. Not sure if I should be calling some place else in the Midwest that An possibly drive it to to have this done. This place does this for the local RV dealership as well as trucks. I assume that Newell must have someone in Oklahoma who does this for them but that is a full day drive for me. That might be ok if it were a place we could do things via emailed pics and such to plan things out etc and I just am driving it to have the work done and not just looked at.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Newell does the paint work themselves at the factory and is second to none. The price can be steep thought topping $30k at minimum. We want to repaint as well and are interested in your estimate of how much $, how much prep, how many coats and of what ? Please post or e-mail me please at [email protected] and we can compare notes

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

paint job complete, good job, great paint match, I had codes for dupont.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

matt,

i dont care what anyone else says....your coach is absolutely stunning. i have seen it in person as well and it is beautiful. i love the colors and when anyone sees it in person they cant help but be impressed.

did they do just the fiberglass cap? where did they stop with the new paint?

thanks for posting the pictures

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Looks really good Matt!

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

(11-21-2012, 07:47 PM)encantotom Wrote:  matt,

i dont care what anyone else says....your coach is absolutely stunning. i have seen it in person as well and it is beautiful. i love the colors and when anyone sees it in person they cant help but be impressed.

did they do just the fiberglass cap? where did they stop with the new paint?

thanks for posting the pictures

tom

From below w/s all the way down and around to storage door on each side. 5 colors plus clear... great color match . Job just to fresh looking, need a few bugs and nicks....Big Grin

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

I'm with Tom. I have seen your coach in person and the paint job looks great! It looks richer in person than in does in photographs.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Matt, Looking forward to seeing your coach in person this winter. Hopefully you're still going to be near Havasu.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Hi Flick,
After owning a Newell that was repainted before I bought it there is one observation I would make. The sides of these coaches expand and contract A LOT If there is a place where the paint is "bridgeing" a joint in the siding it can pull loose and cause an unsightly bubble in the joint area. I am not a painter but I'm sure there is a way to avoid this. The factory paint on my '93 seems to be applied thin enough near the seams that when cold temps shrink the siding there is a very fine strip of bare aluminum that shows on the seam. maybe something as simple as running a razor blade down the seam when the paint is "green" would solve the issue. I would ask the paint shop what they would do to avoid this problem. I would be interested in the response that you get.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.